Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Krieghoff 16ga. repro barrel set....in use
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

Default Krieghoff 16ga. repro barrel set....in use

A few years back Galazan offered 16ga. Merkel barrel sets for Parker repro guns. 28" mod/full (Might still have some?) I wanted that combination but the original sets with repro 16 barrels were just to hi priced. So I had a set of these added to my 20 ga. one barrel set gun I already owned. Its fitted and works good but the dolls head extention does not fill the spot in the receiver and its not engraved like the repro sets. The rib engraving is also different looking and does not have the blank area at the tip of the muzzle like all other parkers. Well thats the negatives.....
Im very happy with these barrels....Its the hardest shooting gun I own, it brings down ringnecks with authority! I used this gun in Kansas and it was a death ray! The left barrel choke was opened by Galizan to ic .009 and the right barrel is factory tight full at .034 This is the tightest 16 full choke I have run across as yet! I now own a set of original repro 16ga. barrels that are M/F but only measure .017/024 not nearly as tight as the Merkel full! The gun also fits me very well...pistol grip stock 14 3/16 and drop of 2 1/8. DT-SF with the 16ga. barrels the gun weight is 6lbs-4oz It points a tad hi but I have been shooting a 20ga. 28" for clays also 2 1/8 drop and have mastered this sight picture. All my repro's are stocked alike from 410 to 12ga. no matter witch one Im shooting the sight picture is the same and I shoot them well. One last note...the finnish on the Merkel barrels seems to be bullet proof. No sign of ware after lots of hunting with gloves. My 20ga. shooter is showing considerable thinning and ware at the carry point along the forarm wood, not neerly as durable.
Some day Ill send the Merkel barrels out and have the dolls head fitted properly and engraved like the originals. Till then it has lots of bird work ahead to do! Anyone who ownes these barrels should be very happy...if these little issues bug ya send the gun to Brad Bachelder for final fitting...(-: thanks all SXS ohio....(-:

Last edited by Kenny Graft; 02-02-2011 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Manufacture correction....
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Kenny, I was under the impression that the sixteen ga. barrels that came with the original Repro 20/16 combos were Krieghoff and that the 16 ga. barrels that Galazan sold for $1800 were not Krieghoff....
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Dean you are correct in the fact that the 20/16 combo originally offered by Parker Repo's were Krieghoff barrels. I don't know where the Galazan barrels are mfg.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

How would BB fit a dolls head that does not fit? Would he add metal somehow and then file it to shape? I would seem like he would have a lot of business doing that for people who have poorly fitted original Parker rebarrels. Kenny, I wouldn't be messing too much with the matting or engraving. Those Krieghoff barrels are Skeuse originals although maybe not made for your particular gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Galazan ordered them from Krieghoff as well...But are way different cosmetically from true reproduction barrel sets. A call to Lou at Galazan would confirm....thanks kenny
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think tig welding to add metal then refit would do it....only the dolls head would need engraving as it is smooth on top. Its a percision job for sure, I think Brad could get-r-done. He has a good weld shop availible for Parker work. SXS ohio...(-:
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

The hardest part of that job would be re-mortising the doll's head and fitting the ejector stop plate.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Its actualy the top 1/2 edge of the dolls head that would need worked ...the underside mortice would not be welded or fooled with if done carefully.
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

I have a set of the Galazan 16ga barrels as well. I fit them to my original Repro 16/20 combo that came with the Krieghoff 16ga barrels to make it a three barrel set gun.

When I ordered the barrels from Lou @ CSMC. I asked who was making them. All Lou would say was they were being made in Germany. I've seen post's on other sites that claim they were made by Merkel, now the claim of Krieghoff. My take is no one knows for sure who made them other than Tony Galazan himself. When I have friends ask about a repro 16/20 that is for sale. I tell them the first thing to ask is "do the 16ga barrels say Krieghoff on them" IMO, if they don't the gun should be discounted lower than one of the original Parker repro combo sets. After all they are an after market set that is fit to the gun and may not fit as well as a Krieghoff set. If my memory is correct the repros were sent to Kieghoff and they are the ones that fit the 16ga barrels to the 20ga gun that was sent to them.

If you talk to Carol about their current offering for repro barrels sets. She'll tell you they are made in-house. That one makes me scratch my head, because as far as I know there hasn't been a single set made and delivered yet. So at this point no one is making them.

FYI,

I fit my CSMC barrels myself and am really happy with the fit. I've also talked the Brad Bachelder about building up material on different parts so you can then fit them correctly. Brad says he has a guy that does laser welding and can build-up things like hooks, dolls heads, etc. without any noticeable heat build-up.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Good information GH-16 thank you.