Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

SST to DT conversion on a Reproduction
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Default SST to DT conversion on a Reproduction

I received my 20-ga. Parker Repro back today from Keith Kearcher who did a conversion from a SST to a DT using original Parker Bros. triggers. Keith told me that he has done 7 or 8 of these conversions so far and mentioned that he only had one or two trigger sets left. It was reported here earlier that this conversion results in losing the automatic safety feature, Kearcher assured me that this is not the case. I prefer my doubles to have manual safeties, so the auto safety feature had been disabled prior to sending the gun to him. This ST gun originally had a 14 1/8" LOP and was returned with a 14 3/4" LOP, the SST mechanism was also returned, which makes the procedure reversible if one chooses.

For comparison purposes I'm attaching 3 pics, the converted gun is the upper gun in the 1st two photos, the middle gun is another 20-ga. Repro w/orig. DT's and the bottom gun is an original Parker Bros. DH. You'll note atleast two things on the converted gun: 1) one of the slots in the trigger plate for the SST mechanism is longer than what a DT gun requires--which leaves about a 5/16" void and 2) SST guns have two screw heads visible in the "Y" area directly behind and under the trigger guard---these screw heads are not present on originally equipped DT guns, but are necessarily present on the converted gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SST to DT 001.jpg (530.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SST to DT 005.jpg (533.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SST to DT 007 - Copy.jpg (513.2 KB, 22 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Quail1
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greg,

Thanks for posting this. I have been waiting to hear how you and any others do with this conversion. Have you had the opportunity to shoot the gun yet?
To be clear, you are saying that if the conversion is done by Keith, the safety can be an auto safety? (I hunt wild birds and prefer the auto)
Any thoughts on the value of an original DT Repro vs. a retro fitted DT Repro? If this is now readily available, what will it do to the values of the many single trigger Repro's that are for sale and not selling very quickly compared to the DT guns that come up only occasionally? Seems like the spread is more than the $300+/- to have it done.
Fred Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Having just received the gun back this afternoon I have yet to shoot it-- other than pulling the triggers on some snap caps several times, the triggers let off crisply. Before sending the gun I asked Keith Kearcher if I could specify the trigger pull weight, he said they are what they are, but he could make adjustments to the sears to a specified pull weight for $30/trigger. I said I'd like about 3 1/2 to 4 lb. pulls, the gun came back with no invoice requesting any more money, I don't have a trigger pull scale to verify. Having said this, the right trigger seems a little heavier than what I'd prefer, so I'll have to shoot it a bit to determine if it needs an adjustment.

Like I said above, Kearcher assured me that you WILL NOT lose the auto safety feature if you have the conversion done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greg,
I may be interested in the single trigger, if you decide you don't need it.
Thanks
Chuck
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had a chance to get out this afternoon for a couple of rounds of skeet with my newly converted to double trigger Repro. It functioned flawlessly and my initial concern over the right bbl. trigger pull being a little heavy turned out to be much ado about nothing. I am completely satisfied with the transformation.
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,853 Times in 4,747 Posts

Of course not everyone has a set of double triggers sitting around the house. Don't throw anything away.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
classicioi
PGCA Member

Member Info

I also received my Parker Repro 28 back from Keith Kearcher after having him convert it from single to double triggers.It took less than 3 weeks and the triggers work perfect. For those wandering if the auto safety will still work after the conversion I can say that mine does still work the same as it did with the single trigger.

I emailed some pictures of my gun after the conversion to Greg so he can post them for me.

Regards
Karl Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here's some pics of Karl's gun which, besides the SST to DT conversion, has undergone some further customization--gold inlays by Angelo Bee and an additional beavertail forend fashioned from an original DHE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker Repro 008.jpg (510.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Repro 011.jpg (490.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Repro 015.jpg (536.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Repro 016.jpg (536.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Repro 019.jpg (539.1 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,186 Times in 12,367 Posts

Karl, that is stunning!!

Thanks for posting the pictures Grag.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
classicioi
PGCA Member

Member Info

For those who have asked about my beavertail forearm, I bought an original Parker DHE 28 Ga forearm from Numrich Gun Parts Inc that I attached a picture of. I had my splinter forearm iron fit into the original forearm and then reshaped it due to the beavertail being thicker than the splinter.I then sent it to Sherry Abraham with a rub and pictures the Parker Repro forearm pattern and she checkered it for me.I refinished it and have been very happy with the feel it has with the 28 ga. barrels. If I ever decide I want to use the splinter forearm I just use the same forearm metal parts and swap it over.

Regards

Karl Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote