Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Tail End (or, the guns "whut dun it.")
Unread 01-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Default Tail End (or, the guns "whut dun it.")

Sitting here in North Missouri under the weight, both physical and emotional, of a foot and more of snow, ice and other assorted winter concoctions, it's hard not to bemoan the loss of the last days of the hunting season. But, it's also a good time to reflect on and count the blessings of the hunt from our Missouri bird season.

For those of us who live for the season of bird, dog and gun, here's some Winter fodder for your thoughts of guns and seasons past.

PHOTOS:

1&2. I bought this little H&H at the urging of Steve Parker (thanks, Steve!) for woodcock in home covers. I blooded it last year on dove with its .410 barrel set (inspired by the good Farmer Hillis, again, a thank you), and I managed to get first shot kills in our Missouri covers this year on woodcock and wild Bobs with its beautiful Damascus 28 gauge barrels.

3. This old girl -- a Quality U -- was my first straight gripped hammer Parker, and she sat in the safe for some years before I heard her call for a duck hunt. A flooded corn field was the setting where she finally got to strut her stuff.

4. A "new" gun from this year, this DHE 16 has the same configuration -- and engraving pattern -- as my quail gun, a DHE 20. Both have straight grips, 30 inch barrels...and, as fate would have it, the uncommon "medium full comb." I was carrying the gun on a pheasant hunt when we encountered a covey of quail. First shot magic is hard to beat.

5. Here's my go-to quail gun that I've written of before, and that matches my above mentioned new 16. It's hard to leave this DHE 20 at home on any excursion for wild Missouri Bobs.

6. Another first blooding. This time with a nice Damascus 20 gauge I acquired this year (thank you, Mr. L.). I really needed spreader loads with this on the day we had it out as the birds offered close shots in the edge of timber. It's very satisfying to down a bird on a tough shot with a new gun.

7. We got out last Sunday before "Snowmagedon" marched in this past week. I normally don't go hunting all day on Sunday -- a "deal" I've worked out with the boss -- but knowing what the weather had in store, she gave her permission and came along to chronicle what may have been our last outing of the season. We had a good day, finding 3 coveys from which we came home with our limit of two birds. The puppy did well, and Aspen ended the day with this nice single pointed just so that Elaine could capture its flight.

God bless this season...and hopefully many more to come for us all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5250.jpg (564.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5304.jpg (520.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5287.jpg (552.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5349.jpg (549.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5408.jpg (513.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5743.jpg (536.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5784.jpg (564.7 KB, 7 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2024, 07:40 PM   #2
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

Very nice way to sit back and relax. I’m still hoping to get at least one more time midweek. We’ll see.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2024, 09:22 PM   #3
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Great end of the season photo gallery. I sitting here reminiscing about the past season also. Sorry I didnt get out to SD yesterday but it was absolutely the right decision to make. Supposed to be -10 there in the morning. Thanks to all those who's advice was to sit this one out.
Garry, I need to take my little DHE 16 out on quail next year, unfortunately the season closed last Saturday. I believe it was ordered for an old southern quail hunter. With 26" cyl/M chokes, straight grip, and 6 lbs even. The oval says
"Jos. Gray, Atlanta Ga". Unfortunately it doesnt fit me well, a little short and a little too much drop, but I have shot quite a few grouse, woodcock, and pheasant with it.
Just got off the phone with old buddy Brett Hoops, spent an hour shooting the bull with him, he is doing good and is planning to be at the Southern.
Already thinking about next years adventures.
Unread 01-13-2024, 06:54 AM   #4
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

A good year!!!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-13-2024, 09:14 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ken, I hope the weather breaks for you. I don’t know how much snow your hunting areas have, but I hope less than we do here. I can imagine deep drifts in Western Kansas. Good luck, and be safe.

Harold, I’d love to see that 16. Maybe a Kansas quail hunt next year is in order. Maybe Elaine and I could meet up with you there.

I still have not given up on a January quail trip to Kansas. Maybe Phil Y. has some intel on snow conditions(?). Our hope of an OK hunt this year looks to have been squashed by some medical issues, but Good Lord willing, we’ll all be carrying Parkers and chasing wild birds in wild places with our pups (and in my case of course, Elaine, too).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-13-2024, 09:14 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
A good year!!!
George, how’s your weather?
Unread 01-13-2024, 12:07 PM   #7
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,070 Posts

Garry, I think north and west KS got the most snow. We have none here but leftover patches in the dark places, but it's 7 degrees with a -14 windchill right now. My granddaughter at KU (NE) says not much up there. Not real sure about SE KS but if I saw the reports correctly I don't think they got much. Ken, western KS got hit pretty hard.

Garry, thanks for the great pics...
Unread 01-13-2024, 01:58 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
Garry, I think north and west KS got the most snow. We have none here but leftover patches in the dark places, but it's 7 degrees with a -14 windchill right now. My granddaughter at KU (NE) says not much up there. Not real sure about SE KS but if I saw the reports correctly I don't think they got much. Ken, western KS got hit pretty hard.

Thanks, Phil! Good to know the last snow missed you and some of Kansas. We are getting even more today(!!) and the high today is 5 degrees with 45 mph winds, minus 1 tomorrow, and 0 on Monday when a balmy 17 degrees is forecast. Our lows are slated to break records over the next three days. The pups are going batty, as am I.

Right now I'm just looking for the chance to get out of the snow and have some decent temperatures. There might be a window or two before month's end, but the forecasters have proven extremely poor at prognostications more than several hours in advance.

Fingers are crossed, but chickens...er, quail, are not counted yet...
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-13-2024, 05:37 PM   #9
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post

Phil,

I’m watching the reports. I stayed away last week because of the snow and it looks like they may get another 3+” on Monday. I’d like to get out but it’s not fun getting stuck with no one around .

Thanks
Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 01-13-2024, 06:15 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Phil,

I’m watching the reports. I stayed away last week because of the snow and it looks like they may get another 3+” on Monday. I’d like to get out but it’s not fun getting stuck with no one around .

Thanks
Ken
I wish we were closer. If you go, be careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: