Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Original condition guns
Unread 12-04-2023, 11:47 AM   #1
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,084 Times in 470 Posts

Default Original condition guns

As someone that is relatively new to the Parker universe I am continually amazed at the scope of original condition guns tucked away in our member’s safes and gun rooms. Bruce’s gun, among others in recent discussions and some recent research in the archives have me mesmerized thinking about the guns that are out there. I’ve only been to a dozen or so good sized shoots or gun shows and have a feeling that I have only the most elementary understanding of the guns that are out there. In the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas it would be amazing if some of our more experienced and successful members/collectors could share a few photos to help us newbees grow our understanding of all things Parker and maybe spark some memories for our older members of the “chase” that resulted in their successful acquisitions. Thanks in advance.
DS
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 12:04 PM   #2
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Dan I think I posted something very similar to this a long time ago. The advice given to me, maybe Dean Romig, was to "handle a LOT OF GUNS" and while I feel I am making headway, I have a hard time seeing a gun and knowing it it was refinished, restored, or original. The first thing I look for is unsharp engraving, then screw condition, case color, is it tight and weep holes. After that I often scratch my head and ask someone. I looked at a 16g VHE at Kittery a few months back and the guy behind the counter said it was all original. It sure looked it, but I just wasn't sure in the end and had nobody to ask. I passed as it was north of $4,000 anyways. I feel your pain.
Unread 12-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #3
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steingraber View Post
As someone that is relatively new to the Parker universe I am continually amazed at the scope of original condition guns tucked away in our member’s safes and gun rooms. Bruce’s gun, among others in recent discussions and some recent research in the archives have me mesmerized thinking about the guns that are out there. I’ve only been to a dozen or so good sized shoots or gun shows and have a feeling that I have only the most elementary understanding of the guns that are out there. In the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas it would be amazing if some of our more experienced and successful members/collectors could share a few photos to help us newbees grow our understanding of all things Parker and maybe spark some memories for our older members of the “chase” that resulted in their successful acquisitions. Thanks in advance.
DS
I have believed for years that the reason it is so hard to find high quality guns is that they have all moved into the collections of people who have acquired large numbers of them. I believe that in almost every collector community, the best pieces are concentrated in a relatively small number of collections. This is true of guns, automobiles etc. In the case of guns, I think the concentrations are largely in the hands of people of a certain age, since the collecting started post WWII when quality doubles disappeared. I have notice a lot in the last few years that when a major collector dies, there is often a significant influx of expensive ones at auction. I suspect over the next few years this will drive a price decline in the high end of the market. Lower demand and more product available. Sad fact of life. These concentrated collections right now serve as a safe depository of these significant guns, but that function may not be served as well in the future.

It's like one experience I had at a car show in Huntington WV. In the midde of some really nice sports cars was a historic early Austin Healy. It was one of only six factory full race Healys with all aluminum bodies. A guy about 25 years old had the car and a complete exhibit with pictures of the absolutely mint car he had acquired and converted it into a hot rod with louvers, scoops, flares, Recaro seats, new dash, huge wheels and tires and a Ford V-8. He couldn't understand why everyone was stopping, looking, calling him an idiot and moving on.

Unless a significant number of young people get interested, a lot of these guns that have survived may disappear in the future.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Dan I think I posted something very similar to this a long time ago. The advice given to me, maybe Dean Romig, was to "handle a LOT OF GUNS" and while I feel I am making headway, I have a hard time seeing a gun and knowing it it was refinished, restored, or original. The first thing I look for is unsharp engraving, then screw condition, case color, is it tight and weep holes. After that I often scratch my head and ask someone. I looked at a 16g VHE at Kittery a few months back and the guy behind the counter said it was all original. It sure looked it, but I just wasn't sure in the end and had nobody to ask. I passed as it was north of $4,000 anyways. I feel your pain.
Andy, I really just want to see some pictures of beautiful Parkers. 🤷*♂️🤞😎
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 12:59 PM   #5
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steingraber View Post
Andy, I really just want to see some pictures of beautiful Parkers. 🤷*♂️🤞😎
Haha I guess I missed that part! But there's nothing like hands on.
Unread 12-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Buy and study The Parker Story.

Talk to knowledgeable people.

Look at lots of guns .

Find a mentor that is not trying to sell you his gun.

Nice guns cost nice money.

If you come to Pheasant Fest , it may be helpful .
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Buy and study The Parker Story.

Talk to knowledgeable people.

Look at lots of guns .

Find a mentor that is not trying to sell you his gun.

Nice guns cost nice money.

If you come to Pheasant Fest , it may be helpful .
Thanks Bruce. With the exception of Pheasant Fest I have done those things. I've also managed to aquire some pretty special guns in my relative short experience. I'm a researcher by nature and love to analyze and participate in markets. The real reason for my post was to see some guns that are tucked away and I haven't seen at the shows or on line. I'm developing the opinion that I am yet to see most of the"best of the best" Parker guns still living.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 02:00 PM   #8
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don't want to sound like an idiot, but what is Pheasant Fest??
Unread 12-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #9
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Don't want to sound like an idiot, but what is Pheasant Fest??
It's a large scale trade show in South Dakota initiated by Pheasants Forever I believe. Originally geared towards pheasant hunting but much more comprehensive in todays example.

https://pheasantsforever.org/Pheasant-Fest.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #10
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,669 Times in 1,861 Posts

I'll go first Dan, might as well start in the basement with a Trojan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6120098 (2).jpg (307.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P6120089 (2).jpg (418.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P6120059 (3).jpg (500.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P6120063 (2).jpg (527.0 KB, 5 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote