Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

northern mississippi
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default northern mississippi

heres a report on our hunt...the day began with me getting up at 4 am i showered and dressed in usal hunting gear camoflaged coveralls... i drove out after a quick snack to the powerline pole that i usally hunt under and put my gear out then parked the truck out of sight.....yes it was only about 5 am but i really enjoyed setting in the cool morning breeze waiting for daylight and the first dove to appear...was not to longmy old dove hunting pard came along and set his gear up by me then a young nephew of mine came up and was left to hunt with me he s 8 but really likes to hunt and shoots good for a kid his age...we really had to many people hunting the field this day but everyone really did good gun safety today...i first loaded the big 3 frame ph grade 12 ga weighing in at 10 lbs even...i know why these guns were orded this way for now...this big framed gun really improved my dove hitting...i killed 7 doves this morning with only a box of shells shot...i know this aint a good average but the doves were way out there and i really only got 2 doves that were really close enough..plus trying to help my nephew get some shooting in he killed 3 doves with his 20 ga single barrel hr...the doves did not come in great numbers like they did in past years but when we totaled them up we had 95 birds in the sack...most of our shooters were8 to 14 they did well....at 10.00 am the birds quit flying so we all gathered around the trucks and gathered up the birds and then passed the hat to go to wally world to buy groceries....we then all left to go to our old cooking spot at the spring which was aboiut 10 miles away...we all gathered round and got the cooking fires agoing and started cleaning doves...wasnt long them doves were debreasted and the groceries got there...was not long i got drafted for kp duty and guess what job i got peeling taters...cut up 20 lbs of them taters but i had a little help..we soon had chicken and a big pot of baked beans agoing on one grill then we had abig stick of balona and polish sausage going on the other one...the chicken got done so in went the taters then the doves..the other grille then got hamburgers and hotdogs on it..lastly bobby done a big skillet of poodlesop gravy..everything was done so i turned THANKS and we started eating...what ameal no king never ate no better...yep i had me some doves a thigh and leg of that chicken anda big helping of them beans and a can of dr pepper and i found myself a chair and a shady spot and i was a happy camper for sure..after this plate i went back for secounds and got me two big slices of bread and then covered it up with the poodle sop gravy...after this i could eat no more..but we learned a good lesson todaywe had fixed food that the olderfolks liked..them young fols did not hardly touch the doves or the chicken but they eat up all the hamburgers and such....us old folks had plenty to eat for sure....soa lesson was learned by us..buy more hamburgers than chicken.... well we sat around and talked for a good while and we then went back to hunting..i carried the lc smith long range 12 ga and the remy 10 ga to the field this evening...this afternoon the birds did not show up as it had turned off very hot and humid most of the hunters retired to a shade but not old me....i shoulda went to the shade... i killed 2 doves with the 10 ga remy and only 1 with the lc smith so i can not give a good report on these 2 guns..but that 3 frame is a doves nitemare...finally as the sun was going down and i was the lasdt lone hunter in the field i was standing there thinking what a great day theLORD had just given us several doves seen good comadre and a full belly..what more could you ask for...forgot to mention my dad got to come out on the field on his own today and hunted both this morning and evening..he did not kill a dove but it sure done old charlie seeing his father in the dove field at the age of almost 87.....yep a day in the field with a parker is sure beats setting in a recliner sleeping or at work any day...sure did hate to see the day end....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Charlie- what is poodlesop gravy? Would it go well with scrapple?
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

I hope to God I'm still draggin my poor old frame to a dove field, or any field for that matter, when I'm 87. You're a lucky man to still have your dad around at that age. Great story!
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 09-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

Glad your father got to go along, it was good having my Dad with me at age 71. My grandfather hunted with us opening days till he was 90.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yes i remember your grandfather going to the dove hunts with you..i even rember his gun a little 20 ga stevens double...yes i m proud my dad made it out to the hunting grounds one more time hopefully he ll do it again he was some hunter in his time and a good shot ive yet to beat his skill of shooting...good hunting boy s....charlie
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

John what is scrapple.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

poodle sop gravy is just a gravy made of flour grease and water...i m sure it would go good with scrapple...charlie
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Wayne - We have talked scrapple to death. It is a mixture of low grade pork products which weren't good enough for sausage - (think ears, snouts, etc) mixted with corn meal and set in a bread pan. Slice out pieces about 1/2' thick and fry them up. goes great with some eggs and toast.

Search "Scrapple" on the website here for more than you would ever want to know about this delicious Pennsylvania Dutch treat
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hpe it tast better than it sounds.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,192 Times in 12,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Wayne - We have talked scrapple to death. It is a mixture of low grade pork products which weren't good enough for sausage - (think ears, snouts, etc) mixted with corn meal and set in a bread pan. Slice out pieces about 1/2' thick and fry them up. goes great with some eggs and toast.
Excellent with maple syrup too.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote