Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Nice update Fred ,Sounds like he coming along GREAT ! I had Chip out a couple of days ago and found out his hearing seems to be getting worse even since season is over ,not sure how to work a Dog that is going deaf ! I noticed in season ,he seemed to be having problems and relocating me more often ,but any more ,I can feed and water him and unless I drop the bowl or make a loud noise ,he will stay asleep and never know I was there ! Its Heck getting old ! Russ
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
Craig Parker
Forum Associate

Member Info

Russ, I read a article yesterday about this, they suggested teaching that a small nick from a collar was a reward and he looks to you for hand signals. I sure you could get Chip to pick this up as for me it would take a lil harder sign to get me to learn a new trick. I think it was in Waterfowler mag on aging buddies. Craig
Craig Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Parker For Your Post:
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Russ, I had a similar situation with old Ringo in his last years. First I tried a vitamin pill bottle with the bottom cut out as a whistle megaphone. Later I used the method Craig suggested; just a nick to get his attention, not a disciplinary jolt. He worked well with hand signals until the last year when he had sight in but one eye. Of all his sences, his nose held up the best; he was a bird finder to the end. Fred

Calvin, That was a cream can, now an umbrella can.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

The boys and I were out for a stroll late this afternoon and Archie opened up in the south hollow. When I arrived on scene, I found that Pete (who doesn't talk much) and Archie had a groundhog treed about 40 feet up a 14" ash, about as high as I have seen a groundhog climb. I had my 1911 in my back pocket; and, being old and stupid, put a round in the critter. It was DOA of the slug and hit the ground about five yards from the tree. The pups were on it, one on one end and one on the other, and after a few seconds, decided there was no fight left in it. If there was any, the dog on the busy end is likely to be cut. What else to do this time of year; I only hope I don't ruin some good bird dogs come season. I'm optimistic that they will get back with the program when the time comes.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote