Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Archie at seven months
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Archie at seven months

It's been a good week with the kid; he found 5 phez and staunchly pointed 4 of them. He has had little check cord whoa training and surprised me with his steadiness (a natural?); he's always had intensity. The pics below are of a bird he got today. His on point beeper went off about 50 yards from me and I went to him, ready to take a shot at a flushing bird. When I saw him in the tall switch grass, rock aolid, I put the gun down, took out the camera and got a couple of pics, then picked up the Trojan 16, walked in, flushed the bird and shot it. It came down about 70 yards out and I don't think he marked it with the high cover. I directed him to the area and within a minute he found it by repointing, wasn't dead. Maybe next year he'll be bringing them in to me. The bird/gun/dog photo op shows he is still a handfull as Dean mentioned early on.

Life is good. Merry Christmas all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.JPG (2).jpg (290.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.JPG (2).jpg (170.6 KB, 5 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Fred, Archie is looking good, just takes time and a little patience... With your years of knowledge and keeping him in the wild birds on a regular basis, he's getting the best education there is...

After Sioux's passing early this year, I'm also starting over with a new pup and things have been going pretty well...

Keep those great Archie photos coming Fred & Happy Holidays!...

Best, CSL
Unread 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Achie does look very good. Chris I am sorry to hear of Sioux's passing.
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,275 Times in 2,428 Posts

This was a bad year for PGCA member's dogs. Sorry about Sioux, Chris. What breed?
Archie looks like a keeper Fred. Although our the loss of our canine companions hurts for some time it is rewarding to bring along another dog [or dogs in my case]. I know the pride you are feeling with Archie's work so far. Please keep us posted on his progress. I know the feeling when you come upon your dog's point and would rather shoot the scene with a camera instead of your Parker. Give Archie a little extra treat today and tell him Merry X-mas from me, Parker and Fox.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

This is the year we had to say good bye to "Tar", after 13 great seasons. She was a lot better bred than I am. She was born in Scotland and I picked her up at the British Air freight terminal in Detroit when she was 12 weeks old. Before her work was done she had over 1300 retrieves on ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse and woodcock. She also made over 80 trips to Detroit's Children's Hospital as a Therapy Dog. Man, I miss her. The search has begun for another, but I doubt there will ever be another "Tar"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tartancrop2.jpg (37.0 KB, 157 views)
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 12-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chris, Let us know how things are with the young'n. It sounds like quite a few of us are rolling into the next generation of hunting companions. Perhaps we can have a thread on the miscues, foibles, achievements and progress of these rascals. At my age (75), Archie, most probably, will be my last if he goes the distance.
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
This was a bad year for PGCA member's dogs. Sorry about Sioux, Chris. What breed?
---------------------------------------

Daryl, Sioux was a Llewellin English Setter, and she was with us for 11 great years... Like all hunting pals, she was special, and I witnessed some incredible "Bird-Dog" things with her during the many years we hunted together...
------------------------------------------

Fred, Looking forward to seeing future photos of Archie, he sure looks like a "birdy" rascal... I'll be posting some future images of young Misty as well...

Below are a couple photos of my O'l Pal Sioux....

Best, CSL

Archie's first birthday
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Archie's first birthday

Archie's first birthday will be here in a week and a half. He's had a pretty good year. He's now a stretched out, hard running pup in late adolesence. At the end of last season, he found and brought in three downed birds to me without playing keep away. A week ago he and his mentor, Pete, and I went for a stroll on the farm along the edge of a field bordered by a brushy, tree covered, waterway. Pete went on point about 80 yards ahead of me, and, Archie locked up 30 yards behind Pete, backing/honoring him. I went foreward, passed Archie, to find what Pete had found. I glanced back at Archie a couple of times and he was holding. When I got ahead of Pete's point, I flushed a pair of woodcock. I guess they were moving north; great fun. Yesterday I was out with the boys and Archie opened up with a strong chop quite a ways ahead of me. It didn't sound like he had his face in a hole. When I got to him, he was working a tree like an old Redbone. He must have pushed a squirrel or some other critter into a knot hole. He's supposed to be a GSP, not a TGS (treeing shorthair); is it the versatiliy of the breed, or is he a little bit trashy. Who cares, it's fun.

When we got Archie, we had Clyde, a 16 year old fiece who is well past his coon killing days. Clyde was pretty much moping around with little interest in going to the woods anymore. The old curmudgeon was not at all pleased with the whippersnapper, but Archie stood up to him and didn't back off with his childish play. Now Clyde can't wait for Archie to come around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg treeingArchie.jpg (61.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Clyde and Archie.jpg (41.7 KB, 63 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Practice makes partridge.... Nice dog.
Paul Plager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Fred whats that over in the corner, cream can? Good looking dog!