Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

PARKER TROJAN DIFFERENCE(S)
Unread 04-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Mtntopjack
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default PARKER TROJAN DIFFERENCE(S)

Does anyone have an opinion on the differences between Parker Trojan's that have the rib extension versus Trojan's without the extension?
I guess I'm asking if there's any difference in the 'build quality' of the gun, from one version to the other.
I believe this question would be similar to the differences between the Ithaca NID's which have the cocking indicators on the top of the receiver, as compared to those that don't. There's a lot of articles that claim that the newer NID's (without the cocking indicators) are more robust and are a better product.
But this question pertains to the older version of the Trojan (with the rib extension) versus those without.
I'm very interested in hearing your opinions.
Thanks,
(mtntopjack)
Jack Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,861 Times in 4,750 Posts

In Trojans, condition means quite a bit more than era of manufacture. Smaller gauge guns sell for much more than 12 gauges, with condition meaning much more than any other factor other than bore size. The extension rib adds little in any situation. To add a bit of confusion to this discussion, a graded Parker made on special order without an extension rib is a prized collector gun. The extension rib, on a Trojan or a graded Parker, adds nothing to its durability.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would like to think the quality would remain consistent despite a few design changes.
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,226 Times in 12,373 Posts

There was no change whatsoever in the build quality when Parker decided to eliminate the rib extension on Trojans. It was merely another cost-saving measure and Parker had determined years/decades earlier that neither the rib extension on Trojans nor the doll's head on the higher grades serve any locking, aligning or strengthening purpose.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,526 Times in 4,621 Posts

It was a simplified version of the graded dolls head rib extension that was an attempt to lower manufacturing costs of the trojan. That is what the Trojan was about, lowering costs in order to offer a lower priced field grade option. To compete with other makers offering lower priced guns.

After a few years of making them with a rib extension, it was decided that it was not necessary at all and this eliminated.

Graded guns were special ordered with no rib extension on occasion. Usually by competitive shooters.
Unread 04-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
In Trojans, condition means quite a bit more than era of manufacture. Smaller gauge guns sell for much more than 12 gauges, with condition meaning much more than any other factor other than bore size. The extension rib adds little in any situation. To add a bit of confusion to this discussion, a graded Parker made on special order without an extension rib is a prized collector gun. The extension rib, on a Trojan or a graded Parker, adds nothing to its durability.
This is what I have always heard, though I have to admit to being a little bit puzzled by this.
When a gun is fired, there are forces unleashed in opposite directions between the standing breech, and the barrels. The Doll's Head would, theoretically, be one more mechanism to latch the barrels to the receiver.
I'm not arguing one way or the other, mind you, just expressing my curiosity.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

As I stated in my earlier post, the doll's head serves no mechanical purpose at all.

The Parker Story, Vol. 1, pages 107 & 108 address this issue.

I had wondered if the doll's head rib extension might have been adopted (a Lefever patent June 25, 1878) to remedy the problem of of the frame cracking at the 90 degree juncture of the action flats and the standing breech, but learned that was taken care of about four years (1879) earlier than the year the doll's head was adopted (1882), so they appear to be unrelated. Not only was the radiused frame introduced in 1879 but the wider frame at the breech and the beads or ribs sculpted into the frame (also 1879) in this area also served to strengthen this critical area.

The doll's head rib extension was originally intended to lock the barrels to the breech so in theory it would prevent the barrels from "springing away from the standing breech when fired."

However, according to a 1919 article by E.C. Crossman, Parker Brothers recognized in later years that this doll's head was not necessary and in a conversation in 1970 with Louis C. Parker III he confirmed this.

It certainly served no purpose on the Trojan model. And for further consideration, the SBT guns would typically have had harder use than most doubles and would certainly have incorporated a doll's head rib extension on the SBT's if it were at all mechanically important.

According to the authors of The Parker Story, "The company continued to use (the doll's head rib extension) on double guns because it was expected by buyers."

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,834 Times in 2,362 Posts

Also had the guide tracks for the ejectors, and the little plate to hold them inplace.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Right Dave - I should have allowed for ejector guns when I said the doll's head serves no mechanical function. Good point!