Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 07-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #31
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

Edger, I do not like to be found Especially during hunting season Maybe this map will help

http://www.northmainewoods.org/images/pdf/map.pdf
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #32
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Bought my non-resident Maine license today. Planning on having Charlie up there for October 1.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

OK Steve, you neglected to mark your destination on that map. I'm fairly familiar with the Great North Woods but I'll need a waypoint.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #34
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
OK Steve, you neglected to mark your destination on that map. I'm fairly familiar with the Great North Woods but I'll need a waypoint.
Dean, it is in Deboullie Township. Directions are in the link of the web site I provided. But its in T15 R9. Enlarge the map until you can read it.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Good Grief Man !... there are plenty of grouse and woodcock in less remote sections of Maine! I mean, yeah their prices are very good but the airfare for the float plane is gonna be pretty steep.

I've always found loads of grouse out the Spencer Bay Road, North and West out of Kokadjo and up along the Golden Road out any of the timber roads. Lots of old cut-overs there.
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #36
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, I will not be using a float plane to hunt, just driving the logging roads to cuts and such.
Unread 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #37
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I din't think you'd be using a float plane to hunt, but just to save yourself the drive back in there to the pond.

Good Luck! We want to hear all about it when you return to civilization.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #38
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Did she photograph that chick nearby to your place?
I know your neck of the woods is lousy with both species of grouse (not so much the protected Spruce Grouse, though that's the only place I've seen them in New England) so there must have been plenty of opportunities for her by driving out any of the gravel roads in the area.

You're on the east side... how far are you from Currier's?

.Spruce Grouse cock bird.
Dean thats a fine snap of a spruce chicken ,I've always thought the males were the most handsome grouse ...up here they're legal and can be sporting with the dog I guess its the hunting pressure as most of the locals don't differentiate between the two ....but yes, believe it or not in some places I find them they are very weary,but I have had them jump on the front rack of my quad while I was on it as well .

Edgar ,thats a fine boat you have there...it's one of my biggest disappointments that I don't own a proper boat ,I live 2 minutes from the ocean ...I have salt water in my blood right through the family tree ,I just don't have it in the wallet at the moment .
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #39
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,201 Posts

I was out at the cabin from Thursday to Saturday (mountains of northeastern PA). It was our annual blast from the past weekend and some friends and I had a good time, kind of a tribute to those years.

Also did some scouting for grouse before the guys showed up. Plenty of summer food like huckleberries, chokecherries and wintergreen. No wild grapes at least where I checked. Elderberries coming on strong, also a heavy crop of crabs and regular apples around the old foundations. But this June was the wettest on record hereabouts and I wonder about the poults, not only grouse but also turkeys. Plus, the spring weather wasn’t all that great in 2014 and most of the grouse taken last fall were adults. I mainly stayed on wide cleared trails and old RR beds - timber rattlers - but didn't see anything but deer and a small bear. Time will tell this fall .....
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote