Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Identification help
Unread 03-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
Justin McKnight
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Identification help

I need some help determining the grade of my shotgun. So far what I have learned is its
vulcan steel
12ga
what confuses me is VH is marked above the serial which looks to indicate vulcan steel and V is marked under the serial.

also what is the NT or HT? (hard to read) and A marking for?

Thanks I am new. I have owned this shotgun for about 8 years now and my grandfather gave it to me right before he passed away. I hunted and shot clay with this shotgun until about 5 years ago when i decided I didn't want to abuse it anymore. Right about the time I realized what it was. That said. I also have an issue when its very cold out when I pull the trigger it will not hit the primer hard enough to fire. But only when its VERY cold out. I assume its got some gunk in it but I am scared to disassemble it myself. Is it something a user could do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker.jpg (489.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg parker1.jpg (494.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg parkersteel.jpg (492.4 KB, 3 views)
Justin McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin McKnight For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

welcome

you have a V grade Parker

if you go to the home page and look on the left side you will see a link to the various grades

it very well may need a cleaning, if you are not familiar with the internals and do not have the proper tools - leave it to a pro

shooting it with proper loads is not abuse - great that you have such a legacy from your grandfather
Unread 03-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
Justin McKnight
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks friend.

I love the shotgun and would like to start shooting it again. I have only ever shot 2 3/4 bird shot in her so far.

I can see its not the highest grade by any means but I also worry about sending her just anywhere. Could the average gunsmith do the work? when she comes apart what happens if a spring breaks or gets lost. Is there anyone that specifically works on parkers and has access to parts if needed?
Unread 03-25-2019, 04:17 AM   #4
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,393 Times in 682 Posts

Justin:

If you click HOME PAGE to the upper left; then FAQs low in the column on the left; you will then see at the top of the FAQs listed: #1 "NEED A GUNSMITH?".

It is a long Thread that lists gunsmiths that have been recommended by individuals on this Forum and usually specific areas of expertise.

Also, if you note here the part of the country where you live someone might come in and refer you to a qualified smith nearby.
Unread 03-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
Justin:

If you click HOME PAGE to the upper left; then FAQs low in the column on the left; you will then see at the top of the FAQs listed: #1 "NEED A GUNSMITH?".

It is a long Thread that lists gunsmiths that have been recommended by individuals on this Forum and usually specific areas of expertise.

Also, if you note here the part of the country where you live someone might come in and refer you to a qualified smith nearby.

Justin
Russell gives good advice - and for the other part of your question - many "gunsmiths" are really no such thing. where ever you go make sure they know double guns. - if none of the recommended gunsmiths are near you, call a few and ship it to one you are comfortable dealing with. the cost to ship it will be cheap insurance compared to having some hack get into it
Unread 03-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
Justin McKnight
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Justin
Russell gives good advice - and for the other part of your question - many "gunsmiths" are really no such thing. where ever you go make sure they know double guns. - if none of the recommended gunsmiths are near you, call a few and ship it to one you are comfortable dealing with. the cost to ship it will be cheap insurance compared to having some hack get into it
Thank's guys. I am doing a lil more searching on this now and learning my way around. To be honest I haven't been on a forum in quite a while.

I'm not scared to send it off. Would like to send it to the best. I don't really want it refinished or anything but I was considering having it case hardened again if needed and possibly having the engraving touched up but im not sure if I should.
Unread 03-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,658 Times in 1,854 Posts

The HT over the A you referred to is one of the markings that is not clearly understood. There has been talk of it representing "Heat Treated Annealed" but I believe the jury is still out on that one. There are numerous unknown markings on Parkers. Enjoy it..
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Justin McKnight
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice so that makes mine a little more rare right!? Either way I love the gun. Have been hunting dove with it since i was probably 12 years old. I shoot with guys shooting benellis and they drool over it! Never really knew the shotgun was so well regarded. I just always loved side by sides. Luck of the draw I guess. Thanks gramps.
Unread 03-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,658 Times in 1,854 Posts

Sorry but no. Those markings are quite common.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grade, service