Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker 3 inch guns
Unread 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Parker 3 inch guns

Parker graded shotguns were chambered for the then-new 3 in Super-X shells by Olin-Western starting in the 1920s-30s to compete with the HE Super Fox, LC Smith Long Range, and Fox-Sterlingworth 3 inch. The Sterlingworths chambered in 3 in were using Fox HE type barrels-but few were made.

I am attempting to determine exactly how many Parker Bros guns were chambered for 3 in shells, and how/where the chamber length size was stamped. There probably were a few chambered by Parker under Remington also.

Continuing to do research on this topic and any information from PGCA members and Parker Forum members-is gratefully appreciated.
henderson Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,149 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson Marriott View Post
Fox-Sterlingworth 3 inch. The Sterlingworths chambered in 3 in were using Fox HE type barrels-but few were made.
I believe these were not really Sterlingworths , but HE parts finished to the lesser grade appearance

as for Parkers, i doubt any specific records were kept totaling guns by chamber length, it would take a great deal of effort to review all of the existing factory records to see how many were done
Unread 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,852 Posts

Unfortunately with all the missing books you will not be able to determine "exactly" how many there were. Do you have TPS ? Good place to start.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,513 Times in 4,619 Posts

There is no way to accurately determine how many Parkers were built in what chamber lengths.

And, except for the later Remington made guns, Parker guns are not marked with chamber length.
Unread 03-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,301 Times in 1,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson Marriott View Post
Parker graded shotguns were chambered for the then-new 3 in Super-X shells by Olin-Western starting in the 1920s-30s to compete with the HE Super Fox, LC Smith Long Range, and Fox-Sterlingworth 3 inch. The Sterlingworths chambered in 3 in were using Fox HE type barrels-but few were made.

I am attempting to determine exactly how many Parker Bros guns were chambered for 3 in shells, and how/where the chamber length size was stamped. There probably were a few chambered by Parker under Remington also.

Continuing to do research on this topic and any information from PGCA members and Parker Forum members-is gratefully appreciated.
In light of the Lt Col's keen interest in/research on period 3-inch long range guns perhaps the gentleman will answer here the post he made (on another collector forum) on November 6 and the questions he received on November 10? They are copied below. No answers were forthcoming on that forum since then.

POST: ….. "I have a straight stocked 3 IN SuperFox along with an LC Smith Long Range waterfowl gun. Its interesting to compare patterns of these two guns against a couple of heavy duck Winchester Model 12s. I agree with Crossman that the Super Fox will out range the rest by at least 10 yards in my HE."

QUESTIONS: ….. "can you please tell us about your testing of the (four) guns you cited to include ammunition used, number of shots fired and pattern efficiencies at 40 and greater yardages? Also where did Capt. Crossman write about testing a Super-Fox together with a LCS Long Range and a Model 12 Heavy Duck gun and make that statement? ….."
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,851 Times in 4,747 Posts

This is a test that is easily performed if the guns are available. Years ago, I did a partial comparison, but quit when I shot my old standard Sterlingworth with 1 1/4 ounces of soft lead fours at 40 and 60 yards. The patterns were so tight and even that I stopped my comparison then. I knew in my own mind that no other gun could possibly duplicate those 60 yard patterns. I still have those pattern sheets filed away, to be viewed if lead ever "comes back". I don't have the gun, but I do have a few of the shells left. I guess it would be interesting to pattern a Super Fox with the remaining shells for comparison. As I recall, the Sterlingworth had standard bores and chokes in the low to mid forties. I have never patterned my 3" Model 21s, but I don't expect similar results since the Winchester chokes are in the mid to high thirties, not an optimum choke for extremely tight patterns at long range. In my opinion, forty yard pattern testing is useless if long range shooting is the preferred use of the gun and load. I remember reading the Crossman comments, but don't know how to find the reference material.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Nash Buckingham and Charles Askins, Sr. were aware of the Crossman tests on Fox guns.
Buckingham owned 2 Super Fox guns in 3in 12 GA for waterfowl.

My tests were and are still ongoing-while shells in coppered #4 and # 5 began to get scarce. That and hunting trips in the west. I have renewed the testing with field notes
and spread sheets at 55 yards for all 4 guns, including Heavy duck Model 12s
Long Range LC Smith, and the 30 inch Super Fox extra full Becker-style bores-3inch.
As a Parker Bros. entry, I could not use my 3rd generation 1923 inherited heirloom AAHE
Special. (DGJ-2003-Summer)

Canadian goose hunts this past winter using both the SuperFox and LC Smith
confirmed the Fox outranged all other guns beyond 50 yards in actual effective
wing shooting. Favorite load was Hevishot #4 -3 inch. Results were amazing.
Number 5 shot seems to pattern best at 55 yards on paper circles.

Frank Srebro did the Sterlingworth Wildfowl article in the winter issue(DGJ) of 2015.
HE heavy barrels were used by Fox.

The number of Fox Sterlingworth Wildfowl 3 in guns is just as rare as 3 inch chambered Parkers.
Bill Murphy's results are the same pretty much as mine. AH Fox knew how to make long range guns. Burt Becker tapered and polished forcing cones . With Major Askins assisting in 1922, Becker-bored refined 3inch guns became the HE SuperFox on basically a 10-GA frame.Michael Mc Intosh did an excellent article on the Super Fox in the August 1987 issue of The American Rifleman.
He states"Buckingham was so impressed by the performance of Olin's gun and shells that he immediately abandoned his 34 in Parker and whatever cartridges he had been using. By the time Major Askins arrived in Philadelphia, Buckingham had a Becker-bored Fox of his own and Olin's shells
were beginning to appear in sporting goods stores under the trade name Super-X"

Let me know if you have a 3 inch confirmed-chambered Parker. The research slowly continues.........

Last edited by henderson Marriott; 03-29-2019 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Editorial review
Unread 03-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,830 Times in 2,362 Posts

From over sixty years of observation, I only recall seeing one righteous Parker 12-gauge 3-inch gun from the days of progressive burning powder, high velocity, loads. It was Remington era CHE with the grade, gauge and chamber length on the left side of the barrel lug. It was at Randy Shuman's back in the years the shop was on the back of his house. My gut feeling is that there were a lot more Parker Bros. 12-gauge guns ordered with 3-inch chambers from the 1890s to WW-I than were after.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks. Wish I could do more wildfowl hunting between Wien Lake and Fairbanks. Better luck probably near the ABC Islands and Ketchikan.

Nash Buckingham in his early years used a 34 inch Parker for ducks and geese. He was a writer who knew about Fred Kimble's duck guns. Buckingham was fascinated by the back boring efforts of Bert Becker and the AH Fox skilled craftsmen. Gough engraved his first HE/XE SuperFox-then Becker did his special boring on it. "Bo Whoop" now sits at the Ducks Unlimited HQ in Memphis. It brought a record amount at auction. Few shotguns share its use or history. It would be nice to get that CHE 3 inch chambered Parker and wring it out against my Super Fox at 55 yards.

I am a former PGCA member with overdue membership dues.......mea culpa.

Last edited by henderson Marriott; 03-25-2019 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,851 Times in 4,747 Posts

A 3" VHE was sold in Maryland several years ago. Mark Conrad owned it for a while and maybe he can tell you who owns it now. It was a late Remington gun made on a 1 1/2 frame, 30" barrels, marked 3" on the left lug. It was a bit light for a 3" gun, but then so is a 3" Model 21.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote