Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

The Bounty of Fall is Opportunity
Unread 11-11-2023, 05:04 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,597 Times in 3,088 Posts

Default The Bounty of Fall is Opportunity

In the first days of November here in Missouri there is a wealth of opportunity for those who love hunting, and there are times when I feel like I can't give every opportunity its due.

After a couple of days on the deer stand earlier in the week, I hit the marsh with a friend looking for a duck or two and to blood a gun that had been malingering in the safe for some time. The bluebird weather was not conducive to bring new birds to the marsh, so we had "educated" birds to deal with, but standing in flooded corn on a balmy November morning is still a great way to start the day. Having a good friend and a Parker to share it with is just about perfect. A couple of ducks taken fairly and the day could have been complete...but I had just enough time (and a smidgeon of energy) left in the day to make it home to pick up Elaine and the pups for a little quail prospecting. We like to make early season explorations to check on old coveys, see what's happened in the covers, and checkout new farms we might hunt later when the "green is gone" and the hunting gets serious. In the short hour we had to end the day, Aspen located a new covey from which we took a bird.

When your head hits the pillow on a day full of Fall, it's hard not to sleep well...and dream of what's to come. Amen!

Photos:

1. The duck opener a couple of weeks ago was ushered in with below freezing weather and lots of ducks, according to my duck-crazy partner, Tyler. By the time we scheduled a hunt there had been days of above average temperatures and little duck movement. We had the marsh to ourselves -- just the way I like it. Still, it was an exciting time being buzzed by teal and circled by mallards and gadwell.

2. Tyler and I both shot at this woodie -- and unusual visitor to this marsh. I hit it, but he delivered the coup de gras. I made sure he knew that I slowed the bird enough for his likely too slow swing. Some good ribbing is some of the best part of hunting with a close friend.

3. The old U Quality 12 I used had a drop of 3 1/8" and was choked a bit open for ducks, but it still worked when I pointed it correctly. What a gift to be able to use a gun with such obvious history of use written all over it.

4. My bag was meager by most standards, but full for me and my wants. A greenwing and gadwell at first glance have similar coloration, but the subtle differences -- which one should always take the time to admire -- are what make the birds so fascinating.

5. Our quick hunt for new coveys was successful. We don't measure our success in the number of birds taken, but by the way in which we take them...or sometimes not. We'll come back to this covey several more times this season, and maybe take another two or three birds from what we calculated to be at least 15.

6. The 28 bore H&H was in the truck, so it was the gun of the afternoon. It's a bit too light for good swings, but for quick shooting in tight spots, it's just the ticket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5272 2.jpg (533.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5282.jpg (519.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5286.jpg (517.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5287 2.jpg (550.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5294.jpg (580.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5300.jpg (537.4 KB, 3 views)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

great pictures i ve never seen better hunting ground....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: