Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member, Got a Parker in trade, Im sure I got the better end of deal
Unread 12-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
roycewong
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member, Got a Parker in trade, Im sure I got the better end of deal

New to side by sides and also my first Parker, Im a younger fella whose always collected modern firearms, oldest was a 1943 M1 garand. But Im quite appreciative of the quality of craftsmanship that has been lost over time with quality firearms. Thus, when I had the opportunity to get this 12ga Parker in trade, I didn't pass it up. I've taken this shotgun to a few stores, like Field and Stream and Cabela's gun library to get an idea what the value and worth of this Parker was, but I also feel I would trust the opinion of a true enthusiasts with years of wisdom and knowledge over a guy trying to buy my shotgun. Im not really trying to sell it, Im happy to be an owner of a Parker and really relish the beauty in the work. Im basically looking for an appraisal, value for insurance purpose, and any historically interesting information about this shotgun. If this shotgun could talk, I can only imagine the stories, so hopefully you Parker gentlemen could do some speaking on behalf of this fine firearm.

I know its a 1897 from the serial number, 86266, Damascus 30'' Barrel in 12 Gauge, locks up tight. Read not to restore it and not to run modern loads through it. But any other information will be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the pictures if not of quality, let me know if you guys want more pictures to get a better idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (14).jpg (531.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (15).jpg (521.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (16).jpg (552.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (17).jpg (550.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (18).jpg (548.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (19).jpg (537.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (20).jpg (547.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (21).jpg (529.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image (22).jpg (525.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (23).jpg (532.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image (24).jpg (531.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg image (25).jpg (543.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg image (26).jpg (509.4 KB, 1 views)
roycewong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roycewong For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,549 Times in 4,623 Posts

Though many people in your postion, being one from little knowledge of SxS guns, would make a deal like you did and end up with a turd of a gun, it looks like that is the opposite of what happened here. Granted, i do not know what you traded for it. But the gun you ended up with is not a bad one by any means. It looks to be a pretty unmolested GH grade in original unrestored condition. I would call the condition of the gun to be average for one that has been used a lot but not abused.
Obviously photos do not tell anything as to if the bore condition is good or if the gun is tight or not. But based on cosmetics, it is a honest example and a good first Parker.

Based on the little that i see here, i would call a good retail value to be $1,000 - $1,500. That is assuming it is in shootable condition with good bores and perfect mechanical function.

The photo showing the wrist of the gun concerns me since i see no sign of checkering on it at all, which makes me think that maybe the stock could be a replacement if the checkering is gone. Other things like the incorrect screw holding the grip cap on suggest this too. If in fact the stock is not oriignal, the figure i gave above would be high.
Unread 12-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
roycewong
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for your info! I thought I did well in the trade, when the fellow said, it was his grandpaps and he wasnt a SXS guy. From the guy, he said everything was original and handed down from his grandpap to his father to him. For being 118 years old and going on 119, I was quite impressed with its condition. I noticed with other Parker examples about the checkering and this doesn't show any signs that it had original checkering that had wore off. Is it possible it is original with no checkering? Again Im a novice to this particular field of firearms and I always believe I can learn more from my elders and predecessors. When I took it to the gun library at Cabela's, the librarian did do the ring test where it rang quite nicely, and when I questioned him on why, he mentioned how the steel of the barrels should have a nice distinct ringing to it. So if its the incorrect screw, do you recommend I replace it with a screw made by one of the guys in the forum or try to locate an original screw? I can throw some more pictures of the bore and other close ups later on. Thanks for your reply B. Dudley!
roycewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,549 Times in 4,623 Posts

The stock would have been checkered. Just like your forend. If i saw additonal photos of the stock, i could maybe provide a further opinion.

Ringing the barrels of a SxS is an indication that the ribs are tight and have no issues with the solder joints. That is it. It has nothing to do with the steel quality.
Unread 12-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
Derek Iske
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice GH! I just picked one up myself this past weekend as well. My post is the new member from New Hampshire. Yours is in much better condition than mine. I have my work cut out for me.

Mine was priced at $1000 at cabelas but I got it knocked down to $650. Again, your condition is much cleaner than mine. These guns in good condition hold an amazing value.
Derek Iske is offline   Reply With Quote