Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

No one can actually tell you over the internet what ammunition may or may not be safe in a given gun. We can only say what we do or know.

From just after WW-II until he quit hunting after the 1987/8 season my Father shot an 1896 vintage 12-gauge AE-Grade Remington Hammerless Double. He didn't hesitate to use Western Super-X, Remington Express, Federal Hi-Power, etc. He also had a 16-gauge AE-Grade of about 1907 vintage which he didn't use nearly as much and which was stolen out of his house in the 1970s. Serial number P136036 in case anyone sees it! My Grandfather couldn't get the hang of that new fangled Winchester pump he'd gotten and in 1901 traded it off at Kennedy Bros. for an 1890 vintage heavy PH-Grade Parker Bros. 12-gauge. My Father along with his five brothers grew up shooting that Parker. They all believed those Damascus barrel warnings on ammunition boxes were a desperate attempt by the makers to sell some new guns in those tough Great Depression years.

From the mid-1930s my Father had a 12-gauge KED-Grade Remington Hammerless Double, which he gave to his youngest brother when he returned from his stint with Patton's 3rd Army in WW-II. Dad had his AE-Grade out here in Washington and had the KED-Grade to use when he went to Minnesota to hunt with his Father and brothers. My Father with the KED-Grade and Grandfather with his Parker Bros. in the fall of 1948 --

Golden Wedding Pheasants.jpg

The AE-Grade is still fine and resides in my gun room. Grandpa's Parker continued in use for another thirty years after his death with my Uncle Howard to about 1984. It has passed through his family, none who hunt or shoot. The KED-Grade was damaged by some of my Cousins using it in the early days of steel shot. Bulged the chokes and broke the ribs loose.

Just some history to show what a lot of these old doubles have been through. I'm sure my family's guns are not unique.

I seldom shoot any of my Damascus, Laminated or Twist barrel guns, but when I do I use my light 7/8 ounce reloads.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote