Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,898 Times in 4,769 Posts

Who got the great Italian eight gauge from Cabela's a couple of months ago? I tried to buy it buy couldn't get a response, even after I sent my credit card number. It doesn't do any good to get on the phone, because they will call you back a couple of days later and tell you that it was sold when you called the first time.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

sure was not me bill... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
8 bore
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
wayne morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 8 bore

Hi,Thought I would put a Picture up of my 8 bore,J & W Tolley, 38 inch damascus barrel 3/4 choke,sidelock, use it for geese and the odd duck.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mine.jpg (24.0 KB, 4 views)
wayne morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne morgan For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I want one.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thats one nice 8 ga...what are the chamber lengths and i bet she weighs about 15 lbs loaded...this gun was made by some really good gunmakers...and i envey your choke it should really throw good patterns...what kind of loads do you use on the geese... charlie
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #16
wayne morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Charlie, bit of confusion,my fault! it is a single barrel,weight 10 lbs, 3 1/4 chamber, 2 1/4 ozs ITM,57 grains blue dot,I am going to get some brass cases made so I can get a bit more out of her.going to use them with the old black stuff, because of the extra volume and its got a habit of burning through plastic cases. you are right in what you say, J&W Tolley were good gun makers,I have 3 of them, a little game gun, the Altro 12 bore hammer 32 ins, and the 8 of course
a few more pic's

All the best

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tolley_5841 010.jpg (73.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tolley_5841 006.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tolley_5841 008.jpg (55.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tolley_5841 011.jpg (99.5 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

mighty nice gun...it looks like it has been really cared for.. a fellow can use agun a lot and if he takes care of it it will look really nice like your gun does...ive never tried the ITX shot yet but ive put a lot of lead loads and a few steel loads through my old guns...i use blue dot powder also in the 8 ga and have used the 57 grain load of blue dot...should get a goose way out there...we can not use the 8 ga for waterfowl here in the USA but most states allow you to hunt other things with it...ive taken deer with buckshot loads and lots of squirls with it and several crows...have worked up a good round ball load for deer but did not get to use it on one yet... you have a great gun there theres not to many of us that use a 8 gauge anymore... i would like to have a 4 inch bore 8 ga with full chokes... all of us here on parker like to hear and espically see pictures of these fine old guns... charlie
8 bore
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
wayne morgan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Smile 8 bore

Thanks for the kind comments,you should throw that 8 in a case and take her to Scotland, I shoot on the Severn estuary,It has the second highest tidal range in the world.13.5 metre spring tides. There's a picture of my Tolley Altro,and a nice mild day in September,If that was January I would be a block of ice!!

Regards

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wwca.JPG (392.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (118.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tolley altro.jpg (224.1 KB, 0 views)
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

you sure do have some pretty shooting places there..ive read a lot about the places and guns you fellas get to shoot...tom armbrust has written a very good book called four and eight bore it hasd a lot of info about 4 and 8 gauge loadings plus it has several good stories about scotland and england and other areas ..he tells of all the old guns and little shops and espically all the nice folks over there...i surely wood like to bring one of the old 8 s over there and hunt...a few of our fellas here ave got to hunt with there 8 s over in your part of the world maybe they will pitch in here.. that last picture must beyour 12 ga double TOLLY....I have a old f a loomis 8 bore that i like to shoot..took a turkey at 65 long steps with it... the TOLLY 12 LOOKS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD DUCK GUN TO ME.... charlie
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #20
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Never shot on the Severn but I've shot geese and duck in the Outer Hebrides, around Aberdeen, and in Perthshire as far as Scotland goes. Lots of pretty country and good friends there. It's been several years since I've made a trip, might never go again but it was well worth the trouble when I did.

Did my shooting with a Churchill 8 bore I owned at the time and took a couple of geese with a Tolley 8 bore that I'd found over here and shipped to a friend in England.

The best time I remember with the 8 bore was one night on a small pond near Aberdeen. Two friends and I killed 40 widgeon in about an hours gunning, all after dark, shooting them against the light halo of a nearby village.

A close second was shooting pinkfoot geese under the moon a couple nights later. The big Churchill accounted for a few that evening. All very high lucky shots where I only saw the geese for a split second as they passed over me and I had to get a lead, then swing on and shoot into the dark. Couldn't tell if you'd made a hit until you heard the bird thump the ground a few seconds later.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote