Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New to Parkers and new here with a new gun : )
Unread 12-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Default New to Parkers and new here with a new gun : )

I have too many shotguns to use, and have some experience with Elsies (which I loved but they didn't fit). I just obtained a new to me 28g reproduction DHE. All I can say is NOW I GET IT with you Parker People. This thing is gorgeous and handles and points effortlessly. I've had it less than 24 hours. Took her grouse hunting this morning (no birds flushed) but shot her to see if I had any issues. Second barrel does not fire. No matter which barrel is selected, the second one does. What is puzzling me is that if I use snap caps, the second barrel DOES fire. I am in my three day inspection period so any advice is appreciated. The gun is simply gorgeous.

Last edited by Andrew Sacco; 12-28-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sacco For Your Post:
Gun not firing
Unread 12-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Dan
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Gun not firing

I am also new to the world of Parker's so what I have to say should be taken lightly. Assuming this is a single selective trigger it is possible that during recoil from the first shot the selector is moving enough to switch barrels which in essence means your trying to fire the same barrel twice, that may be why the snap caps work, no recoil involved. I believe the selector can be tightened enough to prevent it from moving during recoil. Hope that is your problem and nothing tougher....
Daniel B Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Dan
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am also new to the world of Parker's so what I have to say should be taken lightly. Assuming this is a single selective trigger it is possible that during recoil from the first shot the selector is moving enough to switch barrels which in essence means your trying to fire the same barrel twice, that may be why the snap caps work, no recoil involved. I believe the selector can be tightened enough to prevent it from moving during recoil. Hope that is your problem and nothing tougher....
Daniel B Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Dan. But I checked that, the selector needs quite a bit of force to move it, and it stays on the same barrel. Never had this issue before, and hope I didn't get myself into a money pit. But I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.
Unread 12-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Was the gun unfired until you got it? It's possible that the action is gummed up with old, original lubricants
Unread 12-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

John maybe correct but make sure you have the selector pushed totally forward also try and switch the barrels to fire the left first and see what happens.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Was the gun unfired until you got it? It's possible that the action is gummed up with old, original lubricants
I don't know the answer to that. The seller said he does not take down and clean all firearms that come in that are older. Seems to me if it was gummed up the inertia wouldn't work at all, but it works with snap caps not live rounds. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller. Google isn't showing me much. I'm wondering if I should post this elsewhere in this forum rather than new member intro?
Unread 12-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
John maybe correct but make sure you have the selector pushed totally forward also try and switch the barrels to fire the left first and see what happens.
I tried 10 rounds or so, selector all the way L or R barrel, no matter which fires first, the second barrel doesn't fire. Good grief... never seen this before.
Unread 12-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Andy, do i understand this correctly? If you fire the right barrel the left will not, if you fire the left the right will not? If so can you , after firing one then move the selector to the other and have it fire?
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Andy, do i understand this correctly? If you fire the right barrel the left will not, if you fire the left the right will not? If so can you , after firing one then move the selector to the other and have it fire?
Your first part is exactly correct. I haven't tried moving the selector but can try that tomorrow. If I engage the safety then make it unsafe again it will then fire the second barrel (such as when using snap caps). This happens both ways (meaning no matter which barrel has fired first).
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sacco For Your Post: