Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #41
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,347 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Mr. Scott:
Your gun appears to be an A Grade H&R, or the finest they offered (similar pic attached from collection of H&R past president). Your's is in exceptional condition and is one of the VERY few guns of this grade ever made. It is RARE!

These guns were made on the 2nd Floor of H&R's plant by workmen who were either brought over from the UK and/or trained by UK craftsmen. The guns were produced under the personal guidance of William and Edwin Anson.

The basic bits for early guns may well have been shipped over from Birmingham. Especially the frames. H&R was the SOLE licensee of the A&D action in the US. And their license prevented Parker from gaining a similar license... so Parker made it's own unique hammerless double.

The full story of these guns, including photos of guns like yours (plus Bachelder's), will appear in my upcoming book, Birth of The Boxlock. The Untold Story of Anson & Deeley. Out soon from Mowbray Publishers.
gunandswordcollector.com
Thanks John, I’m looking forward to your book. It’s a shame these great H&R doubles had such a short run. Years later H&R dipped their toe back into the double gun market again but this time with an inexpensive small bore hammer gun. A very serviceable and attractive $15 hardware store gun for sure but the only thing it had in common with those great Anson & Deeley boxlocks was the name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F3A55C7-5258-4582-908D-FBDF52332AB1.jpg (530.7 KB, 10 views)
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #42
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Gustafson View Post
Thanks John, I’m looking forward to your book. It’s a shame these great H&R doubles had such a short run. Years later H&R dipped their toe back into the double gun market again but this time with an inexpensive small bore hammer gun. A very serviceable and attractive $15 hardware store gun for sure but the only thing it had in common with those great Anson & Deeley boxlocks was the name.
Obtaining information about these early high grade doubles is nearly impossible. I recently obtained a copy of H&R Arms Company 1871--1986 by Goforth. It is 628 pages long broken down into 5 parts. Part 3 "All Shotguns with Historical Data" has 1 chapter on double barrel guns which has 9 pages. Only 1/2 of 1 page is devoted to the H&R Hammerless Model 1882.

I'm currently trying to track down the other 2 book mentioned but I doubt there will be much more than a brief listing. I'd love to find out more about the company, it's board make up, and other details about the firm and these guns from that period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.jpg (506.7 KB, 5 views)
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #43
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

The information on this page is correct in some ways. Not so correct in others. At least according to the information I've uncovered. First:

A&D markings were part of the license agreement. They may have been applied to rough frames sent over from Westleys.

Some early guns were probably sent over from Westleys in a semi-finished state. Later guns were said to be made up entirely on the 2nd floor of H&R. However, they may still have been made up from rough frames/barrels imported from UK.

The estimated number of H&R doubles is less than 3000. Probably closer to 2000-2500. Still, no real records exist to prove precise numbers.

Again, much more information coming up in my book...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #44
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

FWIW here is the listing from the 1884 E.C. Meacham Arms Co. catalog --

Dec. 25, 1884, E.C. Meacham Arms Co.jpg

and another picture I saved --

Envelope with H & R Hammerless.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #45
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Every little bit of information helps. Thanks Researcher and Kensal we look forward to your book.
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #46
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,790 Times in 4,721 Posts

Brad, is your gun still on gunbroker? I can't find it today.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #47
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

This illustration of the Harrington & Richardson NEW HAMMERLESS GUN from the John P. Lovell Arms Co., of Boston 1890 catalogue is the same shown by Researcher.

But it appears to offer two more grades: No. 3 "Same as No.2. but finer in all particulars..."; and No. 4. "Best quality, fully equal in every respect to the finest and costliest English makes..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h.and.r.lovell.cat.up.jpg (508.3 KB, 5 views)
Unread 07-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #48
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Here is a link to the current listing,
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812920474
Feel free to remove if this is not allowed
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 07-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #49
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,790 Times in 4,721 Posts

Thanks, Parker.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #50
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Gustafson View Post
I was reading about the H&R small bore hammer guns just last week when I was trying to find if anyone had ever made a 28 ga hammer gun . I read that they are fairly cheap compared to other vintage 28 ga sxs's when they show up for sale.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote