Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #31
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have used Win, CCI, Federal and Remington primers and never experienced a pierced primer. The first time I heard about this problem was in this thread. Has anyone seen this problem with these more expensive primers in a Parker? Does this problem also occur with the Nobel primers that are also fairly low in cost?
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #32
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I've pierced a number of primers before, just can't remember if it was old ammo or my reloads. Seems I figured out at some point that the older primers were made of much heavier metal so the older guns had either longer firing pins or heavier springs. My guns that really dent the primers are hammer guns with very rounded tips, which I figured were made that way so they would get reliable ignition with the older heavier primers so they really deform the newer thinner cups. Anyone else notice that? My old Remington hammer gun REALLY puts a big round dent in any and all primers, old or new. I guess I should dismantle some old and new primers and take a caliper to them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the piercings are caused by irregularities in the primer cups. Those things must be punch formed and subject to having a thin spot now and then.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #33
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard,

I do not think it is just due to the firing pins. I just read the reviews on cheddite primers at Ballistic Products and there are comments there about pierced primers---from users that are probably not shooting hammer guns. Even more concerning is that the Cheddite, Fiocchi and Rio 209 primers have a diameter of 0.242". The CCI, Win, Fed, Rem, etc. 209 primers are 0,241" diameter. This means that these cheaper primers stretch the diameter of the primer cup. This means that when you start using Cheddite, Rio, or Fiocchi primers you have to stitch with them or risk having your CCI or Win primer falling out or blown out on ignition!!! Even though they are cheaper---I would not risk using them in any fine gun.
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #34
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rich, when I first started using Cheddites I went back and forth from Win and the Cheddites and never had a loose primer. Bet I've gone through 30,000 of them.
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #35
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Look at the firing pins on the 14ga lifter that someone just posted pics of. They stick out FAR more than any I've ever seen and they're really rounded vs being a tad pointy like some. Those things would stretch the bejeezus out of any primer cup.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote