Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #51
Michael K. Burnley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, I have an old hand crank roll crimper that I got off of Ebay that is 12 gauge and it works real good on plastic but not as good on paper. I also have the kind that you use in a drill that came from Ballistic Products that work real good on 20 and 28 gauge plastic. I use mainly Federal hulls in all my old guns because they are easyer for me to load low pressure loads. Also I have a hull heater called a Thermagic. They are kind of pricey ( about $70.00 ) for each gauge. I only have a 12 gauge. They work real good for straightening the mouth of the hulls out. Don,t know if this helps but there is stuff out there that works. Mike

P.S. Sorry for the wrong info, I just checked and the price has gone up to $83.63.
Mike

Last edited by Michael K. Burnley; 06-29-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: more info
Michael K. Burnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Roll crimping paper hulls
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #52
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Roll crimping paper hulls

Mike - See pages 3-4-5 of this thread where I discuss some of my procedures for roll crimping. After a lot of looking around, I finally located all of the stuff that helps make nice crimps in second hand stores or flea markets. Rewaxing the paper hulls is almost a necessity if they show softness because of age. JF
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #53
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

mike i too have one of the balistic roll crimpers i got it for the 8 ga and it does a pretty good job..ive gotten better at roll crimping but every once in a while i still make a mess of it...my old hand rolling crimmper for a 12 ga does a good job on plastic but not so good on my paper shell they shoot ok but are not as nice lookin as i would like for them to be... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote