Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 09-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #21
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well you lost me CL. Not sure what you mean. Do you think my gun shouldn't shoot these loads ?
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Kirk - I think the point was - similar to my first post, is that you are looking to assemble loads by conjecture rather than using proven recipes

there is tested bismuth loading data available that will list the components needed.
Unread 09-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #23
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Oh. I see. I would never shoot any loads without having them tested first. Sorry about that. Yeah I wouldn't just guess at it. But I was thinking about loading 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz with fiber wads to send to precision to test. I found a longshot load for 2 3/4. My gun is chambered for 2 1/2. I know everyone says you can shoot 2 3/4 shells but I don't even want to risk that. But yeah I'm not near experienced enough to just start making loads and saying they are ok. Thanks for the clarification.
Unread 09-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #24
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

P.s. Maybe my lack of experience is why my questions seem kinda dumb. Can't learn if you don't ask. Thanks guys
Unread 09-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #25
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

I found this on another thread on this site....thought you guys might like it.
Here you go Kirk
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...vwLYc-kGA/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...UOZEFU/preview

1914 A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalog recommended 12g loads (courtesy of David Noreen)
DuPont, “E.C.”, and “Schultze” Bulk Smokeless 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz.
Dense Infallible 20 - 24 grains with 1 1/8 oz. shot
Dense Ballistite 20 - 22 grains with 1 1/8 oz. shot

1 1/8 oz. 3 Dram Equivalent of BULK Smokeless was 6500 - 7500 psi.
1 1/8 oz. 3 Dr. Eq. of DENSE Smokeless was 8,500 - 10,000 psi.
Unread 09-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Try this link....great read https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...vwLYc-kGA/edit
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #27
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...UOZEFU/preview

These are 2 very good articles. Great info for vintage gunners and barrels ,pressures.

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 09-12-2016 at 12:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #28
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Rio and Kent are currently loading Bismuth
From what I am hearing the pressures are up near the top, that's just what I have heard. The only thing that I do know is that Kent emailed me back on their Bismuth 16's and said pressure was around 9000, which is not bad if you think you may shoot a couple of boxes a season and then go back to low pressure loads for clays.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #29
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Thanks Eric

I asked Rio about pressure in their bismuth a couple times, they said they would get back to me. Still waiting

But. At least with me. - any factory non tox loads go through my 3 frame 12 or LC Smith long range

Short tens and damascus and twist barreled 12s get lighter reloads
Unread 09-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentle I found this on a different form regarding trying to work up a low pressure load for Bismuth for my old fox.....

Responding to "Longshot Powder Problems". My name is Ron Reiber and I am the product manager at Hodgdon Powder Company. I casually watch posts that discuss powders that we manufacture, and try to rectify any misconceptions that occur regarding their use. Longshot was developed to be used primarily as a field powder for use in 28,20,16,12 and 10 gauge, and it is excellent in all those applications. Properly used for the long range target/back fence games, it works equally well.
However, this is America, and Americans always believe "more" is better. Not so in shotgun. When used towards the bottom end of the listings for 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz, pressures are moderate, peak time is long, and set-back of shot is minimal, which delivers excellent patterns. Truthfully, 1150 fps to 1250 fps gives ideal patterns with minimal fliers,and is my personal favorite loading range. Managing a ballistics laboratory for 36 years teaches you the nuances of shotshell loads, and what works best. Yes, 1 1/8oz loads of very slow burning powder are loud at the upper end because you are burning a great deal of slow burning powder, and that simply translates into LOUD. Why get the crap beat out of you if slower velocities pattern better?? Limiting what people use on those games is like having the left tell you that you must give up your guns. Use commons sense and ask those individuals to use lesser loads in their ammunition. They need to learn more about reloading, and what actually works to their benefit, and you as competitors need to insist they do just that!!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Longshot Powder. Our nearest competitor realized the value in this fine product and made a copy called ProReach, just like they copied Clays with Clay Dot.
Don't be a leftist and start banning perfectly good products, do your part and control how they are used on your ranges!
Thanks for taking the time to read this note!

Sounds promising...although I have no experience with Longshot...only read where it will knock birds out of the upper stratosphere. When loaded to the hilt... Anyone on here have any experience with slowing this powder down. I plan on loading a couple of different loads and having them tested. Any tip would be helpful.

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 09-16-2016 at 11:54 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post: