Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

50/95 WCF
Unread 02-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 50/95 WCF

I have one of the Uberti 1876 win in 50/95 coming in the mail. Is anybody here loading smokeless loads for one of these. Any help would be appreciated.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Use 50-70 data, with a case filler. I use pieces of styrofoam punched with an empty case.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Lot depends on your intended use, few shots hunting one thing 40 plus shot string in a match another. Big cases intended for Black Powder always need help using smokeless. All kinds of tricks, best one is use Black Powder. Well lubed bullet half a dozen shots with Black Powder then a quick wipe works well.

I shoot a 38/40 in Lever Silhouette 5 shot string with Black Powder , one damp patch from the muzzle with a flexible Delrin rod while targets are reset gives good results. Same gun same bullet using Unique you don't need to wipe but the rifle won't group as well as with Black. Small volume smokeless it gets high and low strikes depending on powder position in the case. Some use fillers and wads I don't having seen problems with misplaced wads.

I don't shoot 45/70 any more went to 40/65 for my BPCS Simgle Shot Silhouette rifle same thing applies. Large case use Black Powder wipe from the breech between relays.

William

Last edited by William Davis; 02-12-2017 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wayne, With the large bore lever gun cartridges from the black powder era a duplex load works very well. Small charge of smokless with the main charge using 2 fg black. Check the Black Powder forums on the net as there is a lot of information on duplex loading. I use a duplex load for the 86 Winchester in both 40-82 and 45-70 with very good accuracy and can shoot as many rounds as I wish without cleaning. The guns are easy to clean but you will have to wash the brass to remove the black powder fouling. I used these in the 86 and modern re-makes of the 76 Winchesters. I only use black in the original rifles due to the softer steel used in the antiques. I found that 4 to 7 grains was enough for fouling control and the up to 10% smokless was never needed. They are great fun to hunt with and spend a day on the range with.
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,565 Times in 378 Posts

You might try Blackhorn 209, look it up on the web. I have used it for 45/70 , 45/90 , 50/110. You load it like black powder, but cleanes up like smokeless. It's made for muzzle loaders , but also works great in old cartridges.
Unread 02-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

you boys shoot some interesting rounds...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Duplex with Black or one of the substitutes are a good option. Old advice including many good sources Recomended wads. Current practice among competition shooters using big cases is allmost universal no wad. Problem with the wad is if it moves and leaves air space it can cause chambers to ring.

What changed many minds were Charlie Dells experiments published in the ASSRA journal In the late 8os. He had a rail gun and under ground 100 yard test range. Chambered a barrel screwed it on tested, cut the chamber off re threaded and chambered , tested again. He could ring a chamber on demand with improperly placed wads.

Since only place you see wads in competition are modern striker action single shots chambered in 32 Miller or 32 Dell. Both based on 357 Maximum cartridges breech seated with a case full of fast pistol powder and wad on top. Case full the wad can't move and case full you can't breech seat without a wad. Spill powder in the actiion. Same guns chambered in the longer 32/40 nobody uses a wad.

If I had that big 50 and wanted to use smokeless would use TrailBoss. It's formulated for just that job and probably the most often used in Cowboy Action Matches. I have never duplexed, it's not allowed in NRA rule matches, but believe it's a very good option to reduce fowling.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentle men I am trying to avoid assembling and disassembling the action on this gun to clean out the Bp fouling. Its a lot harder to do than droping the breach block out of one of my single shots. Thus the request for smokeless loads. Has anyone tried 5744 or 4198 ore even SR4759 in the 1876.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/miscellaneous.html

Kynoch sells their foam wads for reloading. They use them in their NFB loads, which is good enough for me. I use them in my 450 No. 1 Express with 51.7 grains of Reloder 7 and a 300 grain GC bullet. Graeme Wright recommends them in his latest book, also.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wayne, there is no reason to disassemble the rifle every time you shoot it. Just clean the bore and wipe out the receiver and bolt in place , dry and oil.....good to go. Take the rifle down once a year and clean the internals, leave a thin coat of oil on the springs and parts and reassemble. Any fouling residue that gets into the action will lay on the oil film and not cause any problems. I've done this for 40 years and not had any problems with rust. The guns are easy to clean, just a few minutes. It will take some bit of time to clean your brass depending on how many rounds you run in a session. Punch the spent primer, into hot soapy water, brush with a bottle brush and give the outside a wipe with 0000 steel wool. Let dry and reload.. easy and great fun!
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote