Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Shoffstall ils- very nice touch
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Shoffstall ils- very nice touch

Derrick- I have a trade edition of The Bobwhite book and it has the Shoffstall ils as well- both books were given to me as a set by my gals at Xmas - I'm more of a duck/goose hunter, being a Midwest Yankee (not by choice but by geography) and we don't have quail or doves to miss each season up "Heah in de Nawth"--but reading and re-reading those great stories by so many superlative writers now gone many years !

I'd almost give up another year of my life span to have one full quail season like Nash Buckingham, Lucius Waldrip and Hal Bowen Howard enjoyed circa 1908 or so. And to have lived as a younger man then and to have actually shot birds with them, Flash and Ticket and Dan-- or even later with John Bailey-to have known and both rode and shot with well- I was going to mention Hobart Ames, but he was a true Damn Yankee from Mass.- his family foundry made cannon balls etc for Lincoln & Co. back when- wonder how that sat with the folks near Grand Junction? But the love of the hunt, the gentleman that Mr. Bob is and always has been, perhaps overrode such regional differences, I would like to think so.

Make mine a fine English Pointer, steady to wing and shot, with an Osthaus tail, and a AHE 20 bore on the size O frame, 28" barrels open bored, straight hand grip with double triggers, 14 and 1/4" LOP to a leather covered pad and I would be walkin' in tall cotton forever.
I believe if you check abebooks.com- the amazon sector- I just found many copies, both trade, paperbacked and the deluxe- enjoy, not that I would ever suggest to a fellow gent'man here how to spend his money (unless of course he's sittin' at the same table with me for a game of Stud poker) goes with the territory there!!

Last edited by Francis Morin; 12-29-2009 at 09:29 AM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,328 Times in 12,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Morin View Post
- I was going to mention Hobart Ames, but he was a true Damn Yankee from Mass.- his family foundry made cannon balls etc for Lincoln & Co. back when- wonder how that sat with the folks near Grand Junction? But the love of the hunt, the gentleman that Mr. Bob is and always has been, perhaps overrode such regional differences, I would like to think so.

Historically, combatants from both sides have fraternized when the love of the sport has brought them together. A gentleman was admired for his qualities while the side he chose was often overlooked, at least temporarily. Mr. Buckingham and Col. Sheldon have both written about this and it is documented that temporary truces were called for the observation of Christmas and the Spirit of the Season.

Make mine a fine English Pointer, steady to wing and shot, with an Osthaus tail, and a AHE 20 bore on the size O frame, 28" barrels open bored, straight hand grip with double triggers, 14 and 1/4" LOP to a leather covered pad and I would be walkin' in tall cotton forever.

I admire your choice of guns.
!!
Thank You.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Derrick, Amwell Press also put out a trade edition which was $60 if I recall correctly. They have unfortunatly gone out of business.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote