Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

#3 frame DH, needs barrels
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Brian Dillard
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default #3 frame DH, needs barrels

Well, I jumped into the pool again today and purchased a "work in progress" gun.
I bought a late 1800's DH that looks to be in excellent shape and original(incl SKB) but it will need new barrels due to a small buldge mid way up the right tube...anyone out there with an old #3 set lying about?? Ideally want 28" choked for pheasant / quail and don't mind Damascus though these are steel.
Brian Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Fix the small bulge and don't try to find new barrels. A good barrel smith can fix it by inserting a mandrell, heating the barrel and tapping the bulge down. He may have to remove the ribs. The barrels will need to be refinished. Try Dale at 816 444 2040.

A 3 frame 12ga was made for waterfowl and should have at least 30" barrels on it. They will be thick at the breach and heavy. If you want an upland gun, find one and buy it and don't try to make one out of a duck gun.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Brian Dillard
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Bruce,
These barrels have been cut to 28" and I knew that when buying it...I've been using my CHE 30" for ducks so far this season and have a killer little DH 1 1/2 frame we've been shooting pheasant with but wanted another specifically to use for pheasant and maybe use the DH 1 1/2 frame for the quail in South Texas.

Hence the purchase of the #3 frame DH.

Anyhow, I'll take your note and send the barrels off for possible repairs and see what comes of that.

cheers!
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If the barrels were originally 30's, and two inches were cut off, you likely have .005 to .010 choke left in each. That plus full cup wads will still give you tight enough patterns, particularly for decoying ducks. If you find a set of #3 barrels, they will be heavy. If you fit #2 barrels, you will have an unsightly gap between the barrel breech and the frame breech balls. A set of #3 barrels could be hard to find. Most #2 barrels were 30's and less than that would be hard to find in a #2. You need in the 1 1/2's before you stand a good chance of finding a 28", and then you would have a significant gap, even assuming the slot and barrel lug fit.

Also, if you find post 1910 barrels, they will have the side grooved bolt plate which mates with the action bolt. Your pre 1910 D action won't have the right bolt unless it was sent back and modified. DelGrego has the right parts for that issue and will do a good job.
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

#3 frame 12 gauge guns are pretty rare even in damascus. Russ and I had ours out for the ducks up in Quebec, was fun to know that we were both shooting #3 guns despite the rarity.

Murphy has been looking for a set for a project gun for quite awhile without success.

Mine has 34 inch barrels which led to some envy from Russ and his had factory 2 7/8 chambers which led to some envy from me.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Brian Dillard
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looks like repairing the original barrels on the gun may be the best solution for now, that leaves a shootable gun and I can still keep an eye out for an alternate set in the future.

Bruce, I think I'd only use a set of #3, I'm waaaay too picky to have "a gap" much less a "significant gap" of any kind.

It's overcast and spitting rain / sleet....I'm headed to shoot a duck or two.
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Our Michigan season opens on Saturday, I'm hoping for great things. My season so far as been pretty good, if luck holds......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ducks in the morning with a 3 frame and browns with the evening hatch on the Frying Pan with a 4 wt, Brian. Doesn't get much better.
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Brian Dillard
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Ducks in the morning with a 3 frame and browns with the evening hatch on the Frying Pan with a 4 wt, Brian. Doesn't get much better.
Bruce, you don't know how on target you were with that statement. Where I hunt ducks is a hot spring in the middle of the river...I put the 4 wt Sage in the truck just incase the ducks aren't cooperating...and today two nice rainbows cooperated onto my nymph and in the net.
Unread 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dillard View Post
Well, I jumped into the pool again today and purchased a "work in progress" gun.
I bought a late 1800's DH that looks to be in excellent shape and original(incl SKB) but it will need new barrels due to a small buldge mid way up the right tube...anyone out there with an old #3 set lying about?? Ideally want 28" choked for pheasant / quail and don't mind Damascus though these are steel.
Sounds like an interesting gun. Early titantic steel bbls I presume...too bad someone cut them off. You must have better pheasant hunting than I do. If I carried a 9.5lb gun for pheasants my arms would be 2 inches longer and my back would be in terrible shape by the time I shot one......let alone a limit. I may not even be able to lift it to my shoulder after carrying it for so long...Good luck with the project.

Kurt