Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
greenhornet
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
There is a $200 grade lifter with the bullseye stock pictured in TPS. I had been aware of that gun. A few years ago, CH and I drove in a hurry to Puglisi's where two such guns, both 10ga's were available, along with some other interesting guns. We returned south with a some and one of the bullseye lifters . Jack said and we called several others to confirm, that there was something between 10-12 guns known with this feature, all $200 grades, and the bullseye was a feature of some but not all of the $200 grade guns. Other advanced collectors ( not putting me in that category) have said the same.

So, when I saw the bullseye carving on Ross's $135 grade gun, it was even more interesting because I think it expands the knowledge base about these early guns. We called Austin from Omaha, and he believes that during those early years, features as grade identifiers were somewhat unsettled, so you might see things that are odd.

Anyway, I think it is attractive, and is another example of the craftsmanship that Parker put into its guns.

On another matter, and I'm sure I'll say something controversial here, we were talking about value. A person can find lots of V grade 12's for around $2000, some under some over, some need a little TLC, some pretty nice as is. When you start looking at comparable quality in guns being made today, even some from well regarded makers, you have to move into retail prices of upwards of $ 10,000. When you start looking at quality of gun, even these lower grade Parkers are bargains and undervalued. Naturally everyone wants to pay less, but I'm trying to put some perspective on it.

I suspect we haven't seen the last of Parkers being made, but to make a new one today, say a G or D grade 20ga, if you go by Galazan 21 or Fox prices, you are going to be paying $17,000 or more.

Amen x2
jerrybucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

I'm sure I have told the story about being at a local auction and bidding about $1500 to win a high condition VH and also winning a standing ovation from the bidding audience. This was a time when a good VH could still be bought for $350. I would not sell that great gun today for $5000.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill: Do you still have the C Grade Hammergun with the Bernard barrels that is pictured in "Shooting Flying" ? That is one great looking Parker.

Best regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,227 Times in 12,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post

On another matter, and I'm sure I'll say something controversial here, we were talking about value. A person can find lots of V grade 12's for around $2000, some under some over, some need a little TLC, some pretty nice as is. When you start looking at comparable quality in guns being made today, even some from well regarded makers, you have to move into retail prices of upwards of $ 10,000. When you start looking at quality of gun, even these lower grade Parkers are bargains and undervalued. Naturally everyone wants to pay less, but I'm trying to put some perspective on it.

I suspect we haven't seen the last of Parkers being made, but to make a new one today, say a G or D grade 20ga, if you go by Galazan 21 or Fox prices, you are going to be paying $17,000 or more.

Bruce, I don't find anything especially controversial in what you've posted here.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
Armond Fish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the great pics.
Armond Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the pics Bruce.

Mike
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

Yup, George, I still have it. I will tell The Lovely Linda that you are interested in it. It has been displayed at the Gold Medal Councours and won a PGCA award. As you probably know, it is heavily documented to a Parker shooter and is in about unused condition. It is a nice #4 frame 11 pounder with factory 33" barrels and original skeleton butt. I would like to hear from other owners of 33" barrel ten gauge hammer guns. It may be displayed in a yet untitled display at the Baltimore Show next month. Kevin McCormack keeps his Parker display themes secret until the show.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Bill: And please tell The Lovely Linda to keep me in mind, but don't you go off anywhere anytime soon. I can wait. IT IS ONE GORGEOUS GUN!

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill how long has it been since you could buy a vh parker for 350.00....i bet my hair had some color in it still this gray that i have but me and them old parkers have about the same amount of gray.....tell us more about thix 33 inch barrel gun.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #20
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,614 Times in 2,667 Posts

Well Dean, here it is. If Bill were to sell that V for $5000, he might believe that he asked and got a fair price for it, but there would be those here who would castigate the buyer for Oh My God, paying $5000 for a V grade. My point and opinion is that it is still a bargain and undervalued when you look at comparable guns. Of course I want to pay market prices, but there are those of us who believe the market undervalues these guns.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: