Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

It appears to me from the pictures in the article that the Mr. Sereck R. Fox had his 4- and 4 1/4 -inch drop guns built by the A.H. Fox Gun Co.

Lon B. Smith, of a later time, shot NID model Ithacas of rather extreme stock style --

Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

Turn-of-the-century British gunners shot 'heads up'; American wingshooters and trap shooters mostly 'head down.' Interesting that the American team with their Parkers and Smiths kicked British behind big time in the 1901 Anglo-American match. The London pundits blamed this on the fact that the Yanks were only 'trick shots' and the disadvantage of the Brits having to use BOTH barrels

The Country Life (London)
When it goes forth to the world that the Americans have beaten the Englishmen, in a team match of ten shooters each, in three test matches, and the Americans did this with one barrel, whereas the Englishmen used two, the prestige of this country will not be improved as a shooting nation. In one sense it will suffer rightly enough; in another, it will be a quite unfair inference. In watching the performance of the Americans, good shots that they are, the writer could only feel that if it were necessary to shoot in that style, it would be better to give up shooting altogether.
A good game shooter would not consider that his ability was tested in its most important points when the game always rose at one spot in front of him, in the way it did in this Anglo-American competition. Even when several rises are used, as they are occasionally under the system called ‘unknown traps and angles,’ the limitation of rise and of angle is too great to be considered first rate practice for game shooting.
At clay bird competitions, and for winning under present rules, the choke-bore and the pigeon guns and loads are the most effective by far. The Americans go to extremes because their object is to break clays. We bolt between two minds and get beaten by the Americans because we do not go to extremes; and we frighten away English sportsmen because we go toward trick shooting half-way, which is further than real game shots go.
It is impossible to agree that the (Americans) would necessarily be good game shots, or that they could even break clays if the rules of sport were present in the conditions.

W.R. Crosby with his Smith then defeated the Scottish champion shot, Faulds, at Glasgow, Scotland. Each shot at 100 pigeons from ground traps and 50 pigeons from tower traps. Crosby scored 139 to Faulds’ 134.
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3715020.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/Sports.../SL3715021.pdf

More about 1/2 way down here http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfg2hmx7_309ckt6hmd4
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The reason for those drastic Ithaca combs seem obvious to me. The shooter wants to shoot with his head up but does not want to just touch his chin to the stock; he wants his cheek to be against something, so they just raise the comb and get the best of both worlds. He doesn't have to cram his head down on the stock and peek out the corner of his eye. He has an upright head, Churchill style, yet has a good consistent cheek rest.

I think that this concept of "modern dimensions" in shotgun stocks, as if shotguns have undergone some Darwinian evolution process that has rendered them better is off the mark. Seems the old guys with their 3"-4" drops shot high scores and won championships. I think it's the shooter not the gun that wins at this game and that any skillful shooter can likely adjust, within reason, to most any stock if they pay attention to the details of what works and what doesn't and is willing and able to adjust methodology to match a stock dimension. I've become more comfortable with stocks with 2-3/4"-3" drop and now have to make sure I blank the bird on rising shots and straight on high incomers. No problem; I just have to make sure I do it and down they come. If someone hands me a flat stocked trap gun, as someone did in Denver last winter, I can shoot while I can still see the bird. It's up to me, not the gun. Will I be burned at the stake for this opinion???

Murphy might be on to something also, with the changing to having to hit them all to win. Could be that the blanking of the small fast clay targets method used with a stock with lots of drop could cause misses, that's it's better to always be able to see and track the bird... and with a clay, the bird is much smaller than a pheasant... so flatter stocks improved scores in what has become a highly competitive game.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,251 Posts

The dimensions of the Smith Fred Gilbert used to win the Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament given by the E. I. Du Pont De Nemours & Co. in 1895 and the “E.C.” Inanimate Target Championship held at the Guttenburg, New Jersey racetrack in 1896 were:
Drop at comb, 1 3/8 inches; at the heel, 2 inches; length from trigger to heel, 14 1/4 inches; trigger to toe 14 1/2 inches; and trigger to center of butt 14 inches; with a full pistol grip and 30-inch full choke barrels.

"Modern" by any measure
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I can see that Drew. I can imagine with those small fast birds you never want them out of sight for even a tiny fraction of a second. You have to also consider how the shooter is put together... long or short neck, etc.
shooting open faced
Unread 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Default shooting open faced

When shooting "open faced" style, two stock fit dimensions become very important. Cast on or off, degree of pitch. Cast regulates windage and pitch regulates elevation. To test the point of impact one needs to use a pattern board. Raise the gun, touch the stock with your chin, aim dead on with the front bead. If your pattern is right of the desired point of impact, cast on will move the pattern left. If your pattern is too high, bringing the pitch in will drop the barrels, lowering your pattern.
Every shooter has a natural instinctive anchor point when mounting the gun.
This is the point that you most often place the gun upon mounting. A simple way to test your gun fit is to use a mirror. With an unloaded gun, stand in front of the mirror. Close your eyes and mount the gun. With your eyes closed you will avoid steering the gun and mount it naturally. Where are the barrels ? Right, left, or up or down. This will help you begin to understand what if any adjustments need to be made.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Actually I agree with Rich and Brad. I shoot high stocked Parker trap and skeet guns as well as a couple of field guns with 3" of drop. For me I need to remember what gun I am shooting and adjust accordingly. For years my go to grouse and woodcock gun was a PH 26" 16 gauge with 3" of drop. That gun was remarkable. Just touch it to your shoulder and pull the trigger.You didn't need to worry about getting down on the gun.I just shot head up and it really was real fast on target acquisition. I still take it out on occasion but Really need to remember what gun it is because as of late I have been using guns with 2 1/2" of drop.

This thread is very interesting as I had hoped it would be!
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default GUN FIT

I thought I should put on one of my old physicist's plaid bow ties to address this. Field of view is measured in units of steradians. Big word but simple concept. Imagine that you were looking at a bird in a tree through an opening in the woods. The bird is 100 feet away. If you have a clear view that is 50 feet each side of the bird and 50 feet above and below the bird your field of view is one steradian; that is the 100 foot sides of the field are equal to the distance.
At 16 yard trap you watch for the bird in about a 6 foot box 48 feet away - 1/8 of a steradian ; its a cinch to find the bird over the rib of a mounted gun.
At skeet you can watch a box about 12 feet long at 60 to 120 feet; 1/5 to 1/10 of a steradian; the incomer in doubles is in a 10 x 10 foot box at about 50 feet.
Live birds came from many traps in the beginning and fewer as time went on. However a longer handicap reduced the size of the field to be watched. for the bird's release.
At five stand or sporting clays you may see the trap that launches the first bird but you must recover and find the second in most cases. Target acquisition is a big factor in hitting the second bird.
Take a walk through the grouse woods; wing noise may give you a strereo phonic direction to look in but it is necessary to examine more than a full steradian to find the bird; a mounted gun obscures fully one half of that field.
Two years ago at Hausmann's JD and I shot a round together. One station was an outgoing crosser visible only through a small clear patch. I broke the bird twice , before the gun reached my shoulder; JD's comment; "I know you learned to shoot in partridge country". I think I have 12 PGCA witnesses that will verify that I broke simo pairs from station 8 on both rounds at our New Year shoot. I got both incomers before the butt touched my shoulder. I would like to add that the gun I used on both occassions was choked M & F
This is long enough; more on dimensions later.

Best Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post:
GUN FIT CONTINUED
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default GUN FIT CONTINUED

It would seem that, if the shooter knows the 1/4 or less steradian of the sky where the bird will appear, then the gun can align the shooter for the shot. If the target is in an unknown steradian or more of the sky, the shooter must first find the bird and then align the gun to it.
It has been my experience that the big field is best searched and the target hit, with this combination;
Long barrel (30 in plus)
Splinter Fore end, with index finger between the barrels.
Pistol grip to allow the trigger finger to be parallel with the barrel during mount
A monte carlo comb that prevents a mount that places the breech end of the rib above the eye.
Sufficient drop at heel to allow the head to remain erect.

Best Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Good stuff Austin. R Churchill talks about the hitting a target before the butt hits the shoulder issue in his book. If you use your left/leading hand correctly to 'point' the gun you are capable of hitting targets before the butt seats. He used that as a demonstration during instruction.

One thing no one has mentioned as of yet is the difference in how the shooter is put together... long neck, large head, long arms, etc, and how it makes a difference in how a gun fits. For me, with a gun with 3" of drop and just over 14" LOP, when I shoot "open faced" or head upright as I prefer, when I bring the gun up it is NOT just my chin that touches the stock. The comb nests just nicely against my cheek and I'm looking straight down the rib. I don't need an added comb to make a nice rest for the cheek. My cheek isn't mashed against the stock like Drew's olympic shooter; it's just comfortably nestled, and I'm looking straight out the middle of my glasses and NOT through the greasy upper left-hand corner as I would be if I had to jam my head down onto a much flatter stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: