Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #21
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think it is a money issue. Motorcycles are down as well.
Unread 01-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #22
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Campbell,
A reply to your question of an update on the youth program. The message I received was that the board of directors stated that the PGCA is a "collectors" association NOT a shooting association. Therefore that was as far as the youth program went.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think you will find that the baby boomers were the last of the collector generations. As they, and we, go to our final reward, the value of collectables will continue to decline. Unless it is a fantastic, one of a kind type item that may appeal to a new dot com type billionaire, the price is going down because the demand is going down. This is true particularly for collectables that appeal to a small group. Double guns, coins, antique oak furniture, early cars (pre muscle) and early americana all fall into this category. Appealing to the younger people isn't going to be effective as 1) they are not interested 2) even if they were interested most do not have the $$$ even for the reduced level of collectable Parker prices.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Zachow For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #24
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Well... this has certainly been uplifting.

Now all I have to do is die amidst my collection of fine guns.

Which my children can then sell to a scrap metal dealer, and order carry out pizza with the proceeds.

I need a drink...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #25
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,412 Times in 1,645 Posts

All I know is I am going to continue to buy great guns and my son will have to figure it out when I go to the happy hunting grounds! This thread is getting a little depressing for me.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #26
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

well- we antique a lot as a hobby- one thing I have commented on lately is seeing more young people at shows than in the past few years

that may not translate to Parkers - as hunting declines interest in any hunting gun will follow
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #27
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Part of the distraction is black rifles. You can buy parts and components for them and build a very accurate rifle in some excellent calibers for under $400. 300 blk, 450 bushmaster, all fun to hunt with. Don't misunderstand, I love classic doubles and old levers. I have and enjoy both. However, building an accurate black rifle is fun to plink with and can be done on the cheap. IMHO

PS. I still hunt with a reproduction Sharps 45-90.
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Maybe "guns" are just too controversial for the X-Gens and Millenials ?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #29
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,241 Times in 2,415 Posts

I believe everything runs in cycles. My first gun, bought for me by my father, was a Win. mod1400 semi auto. I hunted with that and an old Belgium Browning until I was 21 or 22. Then a friend of mine wanted to trade his VHE 20 for that Browning which I did. Shortly thereafter an older member of my gun club wanted to unload 2 more 20ga. Parkers. I bought them for a song then but really was'nt hooked on SxS's for another decade or so. Well we all know how that worked out.

My point is I believe that we are just in a down cycle related to the stagnant economy of the past 8 years. I am a small businessman who relies on other small businesses. The future of our economy just was'nt bright enough for the expenditure of any surplus cash on that next Parker. Now things might just brighten up a bit. The looming ban on lead shot would have made our guns obsolete. Now I think we have an administration in place that will not be assaulting everything that has to do with firearms.

I know Dean has his grandson Cam involved as well as many other members that have their children and grandchildren involved. I have two grandsons who are chomping at the bit to shoot and hunt with Pop. They will be shooting a SxS. We can only encourage them to enjoy what we love and hopefully they will be the next generation to take over the reigns.
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,369 Posts

I think it would be interesting to know the statistics of membership in the PGCA, median age of members and average number of years as a member. I think the data will show we as a group are growing older with fewer new younger members joining to replace us. There is no larger double gun collectors association than the PGCA, our statistics would be and are telling of the double gun market.

Young people are growing up in an amazing age of technology, they have grown accustomed to the latest and greatest gadgets. Their taste in firearms, antiques and motorcycles reflects this.

I saw a decline in hunting coming first hand when I worked for NH Fish & Game. I looked at the statistics for the number of 16 year old youth completing Hunter Education class for 2003. Age 16 was the first year they need the class to get a hunting license. I compared that number to the number of cities and towns in NH. At that time we had less than two 16 year old youth completing Hunter Education when divided by the number of cities and towns in the state. We are now 14 years later, the youth are not large enough in number to replace the generation that is leaving the sport due to health and or death.