Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #61
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Thanks Pete!

I knew I had seen those videos. Of course I am not going to try that with a prized Parker.

I believe that most barrel blow ups were either caused by an obstruction such as mud, or a spider nest (from leaving that ol' gun in the corner of the barn just in case...). Barrel failures from obstructions usually occur down the barrel where the obstruction is or more correctly "was".

Chamber failures at or just past the chamber were most likely caused by those long ago without proper scales of knowledge of the differences, using the same volume of second generation smokeless powder as one would have previously done with black powder or first generation smokeless "wood" powder.

Thanks again Pete!
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 07-13-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #62
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
hows this for science..there are a few thousand of us parker owners and we as in most of us guys shoot our damascus guns reguraly with no problems..my self i shoot a lot of damascus and differant types of composite steel like stub twist-plain steel-laminated steel -wire twist- and the list goes on..some of these old barrels are pitted and i have shot some heavy loads thru them in smokeless powder with 3 oz of shot..so i say mr bell and mr arbrust and all of us shooters of all these old guns have proven a scientic fact that these old barrels still shoot ok.. charlie
How is it for science? Well, it is not science at all. It is anecdotal evidence. There's no scientific proof of anything therein, other than perhaps that on those days with those guns with those loads in those weather conditions with those shooters nothing bad happened.

During the Viet Nam War, thousands of GI's had unprotected sex with thousands of Vietnamese women, and thousands of GI's never caught any disease. Is that scientific fact that you can't catch a disease from having unprotected sex?

Bell's tests are evidence, for sure, but not proof.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #63
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Bill I think the point Bell was making was even after proof loads, stuffing wads, dirt and rags down the barrel, the only way he could get a burst like that was to lodge the 20 ga shell down bore. I think that was the point of his testing. This test was done at the end of his series "Finding Out For Myself"
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!