Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Vintage Style Shooting Sweater Purchase.....
Unread 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

Default Vintage Style Shooting Sweater Purchase.....

We have an opportunity here, and I wanted to test the waters to see who might be interested. Anybody who’s ever studied old shooting photos has seen the great shawl collar cardigan sweaters that were often worn on the trap range and in the field as well. Things like this just aren’t made anymore, at least not like those. I’ve wanted one myself for years.

I’ve been working with my friend Simon James Cathcart in England to possibly bring something like this back into the world. Simon runs a company that recreates vintage garments in modern sizes using classic methods and proper materials through British manufacturers. I have absolutely NO financial stake in the project, I'm just trying to get enough of an order together to make this possible.

He’s got in the works a two tone sweater of the aforementioned style, made of three gauge English Wool in one of the last old school English Woolen Mills in Leicestershire. And none of this modern open weave either, they’ll be done like the originals with some real heft. Produced on a vintage hand loom which allows for much more control, giving it a tighter weave, better angles, and curves for a finer fit. Buttons will be actual antique corozo nut from the 30’s, old stock found recently and absolutely perfect for the project.

He’s doing a limited production run in a full range of sizes up from Small to 5xl. The colors we’ve chosen for the shooting sweater are British Army Green (OD) and Dead Grass Tan for the stripes on the collar. The picture I’ve loaded is the sample sweater in black and white, this is the prototype. The only difference between this and the production model is it will be slightly longer. I’ve also loaded another picture of the yarn samples for the actual shooting sweater so you’ll have to use your imagination a bit. The mill sent him this photo and it's not what you'd call high definition, but they're old school as I said. Take my word for it, the colors will be perfect and quality top shelf.

But here’s the rub.

Simon needs to buy these specific colors of yarn and the minimum order equals 25 sweaters. I’ve committed to buy two, one for me and one for my father. The price is going to be $295 plus shipping, not a casual purchase I know. But this is what I call a Lifetime Garment, meaning if you buy one you’ll use and enjoy it for the rest of your life and then pass it on to somebody else who will do the same.

I can’t say enough about the quality, this is the sort of thing that Abercrombie and Fitch / VL&A were importing in the 30’s and 40’s to sell under their label.

Below is a link to Simon’s website so you can see some of the other products he’s putting out. I ordered two of the British Navy Sweaters as Christmas gifts this past year and have a pair of the two tone Balmoral Boots on order right now.

http://www.simonjamescathcart.com/

Orders will have to be paid before production begins, then the sweaters will be shipped in the fall. He's not taking money yet, I'm just working to see if I can get enough interest to move forward another step. You've got the best shotgun there is, a Parker, now you need a sweater of the same quality to wear while shooting it. Who's in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweater2.jpg (108.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Sweater3.jpg (34.1 KB, 21 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,213 Times in 895 Posts

Destry, best of luck on your sweater purchases. Not my style of sweater but they look really nice and with the quality should sell well.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I dunno, I guess we'll see. I've got five sold so far, none on here at all. I was thinking I'd at least get a couple interested parties from PGCA.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
sweaters
Unread 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default sweaters

Destry...There were, a few years ago, some gals up in Maine, I believe, making Baseball team sweaters similar to what you are showing for the Mitchell and Ness Co. For a while they did special orders. then...I believe, they stopped, but I believe your quality will be even better... and $295 for a sweater like that is very fair ....Would it be possible to order an OD sweater with solid dead grass collar? If so I am in.
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

No, this is the only pattern that's going to be offered. I think Simon has to work with what the mill has setups for. The beauty of these folks is they'll do a single of any size as long as the color quantity is there. I'm guessing I'm going to be the only 4xl but that's not a problem. Most other places, you'd have to have a production run of every size because they're made on a different kind of loom.
Unread 04-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

Some 1901-vintage styles --

Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Do you have a vintage photo of someone wearing one like it? I'm just curious as it's not a sweater I recall seeing..not that I study old clothes a lot, admittedly.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Some 1901-vintage styles --

Looks like they had hoodies in 1901!
Unread 04-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had a great photo of some brothers from Chicago in a live pigeon match wearing shawl collar cardigans but I'd loaned it to EDM before he passed away and just never approached the family about getting it back.

Did a little Google searching and did turn up one of The Babe in his two tone cardigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427161603_HDR~2.jpg (242.0 KB, 11 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

And here's another of a late 40's curling team in their striped cardigans. If I run across a shooting related one I'll post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427161600_HDR~2.jpg (321.9 KB, 10 views)