Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

I Have A Parker
Unread 06-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Lee Weiss
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default I Have A Parker

Greeting Folks,

I have aquired a Parker and would like some feedback. I believe it is a DH from the web site info I have found. The gun belonged to my grandfather who passed away in 1961. My Dad believed he bought the gun new. The s/n is 139448 which would date the gun at 1906. The stock is not the original. According to my dad, a straight stock was put on the gun. I do not know if this would be a Parker aftermarket stock. Gramps was supposed to be a heck of a shot with that gun. My dad said he couldn't hit sh*t with that straight stock. The case is a little rough with the broken strap. The gun has been on many hunting trips and shows the wear and tear. The gun hasn't hunted since the 1970's.

So, is this a DH model? What kind of ball park value would this gun have? As in, should I make sure it is insured and is it time to buy a gun safe? Should I get an appraisal? Any other preservation pointers other than the obvious such as oil the metal. Specific wood preseveration or any other things "I should know". I have read some posts here on and off for a while. This is a very nice group and very passionate about there Parkers

Thanks in advance.

Lee Weiss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0080.JPG (281.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0081.JPG (308.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0086.JPG (308.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0090.JPG (303.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0085.JPG (266.1 KB, 30 views)
Lee Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,103 Posts

Hello Lee; Welcome aboard !! I looked in the serialization book and yours is one of the guns with the serial # missing ,I have a few of those myself ,you can go to our home page and put your serial # in where it says letters and there still in fact may be factory records for your gun. You do in fact have a DHE grade Parker ,the E on the end is for an " Ejector "gun, Titanic Steel barrels, standard on most D Grade fluid steel barreled guns and appears to be on the standard #2 frame. Your gun appears to show quite a bit of field use,especially on the fore end ,although it seems to show some case colors on the receiver and quite a bit of color on the water table, which is very nice .It looks like a very nice usable gun, I wish my Grand Dad would have had one that I might have ended up with, I don't believe you could put a price on that ! Congrats on your new Parker !! Enjoy, Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,909 Times in 4,773 Posts

The plate that retains your ejectors seems to be missing or broken. The ejectors should not come out that far. Send us a picture of the breech face from the rear with the ejectors pushed in so we can evaluate your problem. You should not shoot the gun in this condition until you diagnose the problem and have it professionally repaired. Most gunsmiths are not prepared to fix this problem. We can tell you who to take it to.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,103 Posts

Bill; You always have the best eye ! I apologize but that got right past me, I just broke down a DHE to check and the ejectors only come out to about the end of the dolls head rib extension.
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Ejector
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Lee Weiss
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Ejector

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your responses so far. I have enclosed more pics. Hopefully that will tell more about the ejector situation. I would have that repaired although I doubt I will hunt with it. Maybe trap and skeet just to say I have shot the gun or maybe not.

As far as the serial # goes, the # on the stock matches and the barrel assy on the side has a matching #. So is the # I referenced off of the date code mfg sheet not correct or did I mis-interpret something here.

The pictures attached show the ejectors
#93 shows ejectors, is this picture detailed enough?
#94 shows the bottom of the stock and the S/N is engraved on there
#97 shows the S/N on the side of the barrel assy.
#98 Is the straight stock. Is it that much different fro a traditional stock.
#99 shows the pitting on the barrel, a little up by the breech and some about 6 inches down the barrel fron that particular pitting spot. that is the worst of the pitting the gun shows.

Thanks again

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0093.JPG (324.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0097.JPG (317.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0098.JPG (292.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0094.JPG (289.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0099.JPG (284.8 KB, 22 views)
Lee Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yup, your ejector retaining plate seems to be missing but the screw seems to be in place. I hope it is the original screw and not one that has been forced into the original hole. Your gun needs to go to the shop. I would call Larry Del Grego and ask if he has a plate he can fit. He could check your ejectors for function and clean up the inside a bit. Try to hold off any refinishing work until you get it working correctly. A 1910 patent bolt plate has been fitted to your gun. That's good news. The stock seems to be the heavy competition style and an uncommonly raised comb area so your gun could conceivably been made for a famous shooter. A PGCA letter may be interesting reading.
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,338 Times in 12,404 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you find that the stock replacement was done by Parker Bros. It has the correct style of engraving on the trigger guard tang, looks to have had the skeleton steel buttplate fitted, checkering and carved points done correctly - everything looks correct and that high comb is obviously a special order. I agree, you should definitely get a PGCA Research Latter.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Although you say the stock was replaced, it looks like a Parker stock. Better pictures of the side view of the front end of the stock with checkering would tell us more clearly. With a skeleton buttplate, it would be unlikely anyone but Parker would have done the work. There are surviving records at PGCA on your gun, probably order book entries since the stock book with your gun is missing. The order book has the interesting information like the name of the original purchaser, the configuration of the gun when it was made, as well as possibly repairs, restocking, or modifications made to the gun up to 1919.
Unread 06-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Tell us your grandfather's name and states of residence and maybe we can tell you if he shot for money with that gun.
PARKER DHE 12 GAUGE
Unread 06-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default PARKER DHE 12 GAUGE

Lee: To answer your other question I would place an insurance value on your Grandfather's Parker at $6,000 - $8,000

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote