Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New to Site - From Parts Unknown
Unread 10-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New to Site - From Parts Unknown

Long time viewer and owner/steward of Parker VH 16 Ga. on 1 Frame put into service in 1907. Great gun that locks up tight but still shoot it sparingly. Like most Parkers it is joy to handle and just feels right and what you would expect from a quality product that has seen its time in field but was always taken care of.

Gun has been in my families possession since the late 70's and again shot sparingly for a couple of reasons. Biggest one is that my dad and I both are left eye dominant and shoot lefty. Any advice or how many lefty shooters with Parkers that have the double triggers. I would shoot gun more but current trigger configuration has back trigger or left barrel trigger that chews up my trigger finger when you always shoot that right barrel first. Gloves help some and at least keep the abrasions down but after about a box of shells you know you have been shooting the ole Parker.

Have heard that its possible to change trigger layout but not certain if that would be advisable or would hurt value of gun going forward.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,379 Posts

Todd;
I'm a lefty and have been shooting double trigger guns for over 40 yrs. and I have never had a problem with their configuration. I think that they can be switched but someone with more knowledge than me I'm sure will chime in.
Unread 10-31-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for input Double Lab. It maybe just my problem with fat fingers, its just that left trigger cuts into finger after about a box of shells. Was just wondering if others had issues. Won't be a problem for me much longer though since boys shoot righty and can actually shoot her pretty good. But I like shooting old doubles so may have to find a Parker with a single trigger. My dad just picked up a 12 gauge Parker that is Vulcan same as the one I have in 16. Shooting it did the same thing to my finger. Oh well I guess I just have to wear fashionable shooting gloves whenever break out a Parker with double triggers as my fouling piece.

BTW that is great looking lab you have. Looks like the second lab I trained that I raised from a pup. His mother was my first lab and she was a direct descendant from River Oaks Corky that was bred to some Kellog dogs that were trained for Seeing Eye Dogs. She was runt of the litter and was given to me by my vet that was a duck hunting buddy of my dad and myself and we belonged to same church. Anyway she was about a year old when I got her and she was dang smart but was told she was just not a hard charging dog, vet said she took too much to Kellog side but since price was right (free) that she would be a great dog to learn on to train and to see if I could bring out the River Oaks Corky in her. I bonded and trained her up. Her nose was awful and she would retrieve but she did not like it. Probably best swimming dog I ever had. Her back never got wet she floated so high in the water.

First duck hunt with her was with all our buddies and the Vet that gave her to me. It was miserable cold low twenties and howling while spitting snow, we were hunting a flooded corn field that was forming ice in front of us as we stood there. First flight comes in and we knock a bunch down and all the dogs go churning through the water and breaking ice on the retrieves. I send my dog and she just looks up with me with these pitiful eyes and ice on her whiskers and just makes this shivering growl at me. I never heard so much laughing at my expense. I just spent 8 months training this dog and knew she would do it but also knew she did not love it, she just went thru the motions. All my Vet said to me as he was crying from laughing so hard was that I knew she was smart but just did not know she was that smart. She was a great dog though loved her to death. All she wanted to do was be next to me and as companion dog she excelled. She grinned like a Cheshire Cat every time she saw me, even until the day she died.

Her son was ever bit of her and then some since I bred her to another AKC field champion named Maximilian. Rufus turned out to be as smart and loyal as his mom, but was also hard charging. I swear if I did not have to go off to college I think I could have trained that dog to piss in a toilet, flush and then bring a beer to me from the fridge on his way back to sit next to me.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 10-31-2017 at 11:22 PM..
Unread 11-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,379 Posts

Todd;
The dog in my avatar is a Kellog dog. I picked him up during a trip through S. Dakota and made a detour to Madison, SD. where Mayo Kellog's kennel is located. He was quite a character and you might know that he was the one who pioneered the pointing lab and most of the other pointing lab kennels in the US got their start from his bloodline. He was a great dog.

As far as the double trigger you are having trouble with, I realized many years ago that the standard trigger set-up with the left trigger being on the outside and closer to my hand for me is a better design for a lefty as all I have to do is slide my finger back and slightly out. Don't even think about it when I'm shooting.

Of course being a southpaw you probably have dealt with a right handed world with many things in your daily life. I hope you can lick that trigger problem.
Unread 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow, I knew that dadgum dog looked familiar. Its the eyes, the shape of the head and ears, attitude, and relaxed but confident posture. It just says " I know what I am doing and what I am here for, do you, if not, here to help". I could wax on poetically but won't, but will just say, hypothetically, that if they were still making Parkers today there would be a Lab somewhere on that gun. No offense to any Pointer fans.

Agree in theory and probably for most lefties that trigger location works well and makes sense and is easy to find. No doubt after a few rounds I know where it is even if I never shoot that left barrel and got the scares to prove it. No worries though just part of the joys of owning. If that is my only complaint then doing all right. Besides the kids are righties and shoot it dang good so much ado about nothing. May just have to go find me a single selective trigger Parker.