Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #21
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I'm using Mec 9000 in 16, 20, 410 for my 2.5 inch shells and a Sizemaster in 12 ga I use only RST hulls.
Unread 08-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #22
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ron,
I had PW make me special steel sizing dies for 10 b 2 & 7/8 " that also included a separate die so I could easily insert a 10b case then cut to the 2 & 7/8 inch length. Have loaded these cut cases on my 375 with no problem They also made me steel dies for 12b to load 2.5 " cases and cut die also to cut to proper length from 2.75".
They also prepared the tooling heads for 10b, 12b & 16b and adjusted them for me.
I have always found their service to be excellent.

Big D's idea is excellent "A rimmed cookie sheet mounted under the loader is a good way to control runaway shot"
My wife appreciates your suggestion!!
Jim
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McKee For Your Post:
Unread 09-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #23
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McKee View Post
Ron,
I had PW make me special steel sizing dies for 10 b 2 & 7/8 " that also included a separate die so I could easily insert a 10b case then cut to the 2 & 7/8 inch length. Have loaded these cut cases on my 375 with no problem They also made me steel dies for 12b to load 2.5 " cases and cut die also to cut to proper length from 2.75".
They also prepared the tooling heads for 10b, 12b & 16b and adjusted them for me.
I have always found their service to be excellent.

Big D's idea is excellent "A rimmed cookie sheet mounted under the loader is a good way to control runaway shot"
My wife appreciates your suggestion!!
Jim
Thanks Jim. I'll give PW a call next week. If they can't supply a short sizing die I see no reason why I couldn't get a machinist to cut it down on a lathe.

I also like the cookie sheet idea -- will use that one for sure.

I'll report back on what PW says. -- Ron
Unread 09-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #24
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Will be interested it PWs answer too.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #25
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Will be interested it PWs answer too.

William
Just got off the phone with PW. I called the main number and spoke to the person who answered. (Didn't have to get transferred to technical support or the machine shop.) She knew immediately what I needed. All you need is two parts to load 2 1/2" shells -- a cut down sizing die (aka shell holder) -- $37.50 and a wad seating sleeve -- $4.85. Total additional charge -- $42.35 You do have to call for these 2 parts as they are not on their website.

Now I just need to find some decent hulls -- not sure I want to bother peening the primer pockets every time I reload.
Unread 09-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #26
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks I’m on it tomorrow

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #27
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Scott View Post
Just got off the phone with PW. I called the main number and spoke to the person who answered. (Didn't have to get transferred to technical support or the machine shop.) She knew immediately what I needed. All you need is two parts to load 2 1/2" shells -- a cut down sizing die (aka shell holder) -- $37.50 and a wad seating sleeve -- $4.85. Total additional charge -- $42.35 You do have to call for these 2 parts as they are not on their website.

Now I just need to find some decent hulls -- not sure I want to bother peening the primer pockets every time I reload.
Ron,

I use RST hulls for my 12 and 20 gauge 2 1/2" loads with Winchester primers. There doesn't appear to be a loose fit problem with that combo.

I load them about 4 times and toss them as a cautionary move because of the inside base wad. I haven't had a problem but just being cautious.

I have some extra RST hulls if you'd like to try some. Just pay postage. 12's and 20's.

Anybody else also.

Bill
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #28
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

William, why do you think a 600 won't resize ? They do, and very well. That ring goes around the base and it has to be the right size. And, they're a lot less trouble than the collet system. I have both and can't see one being better than the other unless you want to talk about which one breaks. I think you'll find way more Mec JRs reloading 2 1/2" shells than any other machine. Now if you're going to shoot just 2 1/2" shells, do like Rich and have Mec build a progressive press for you like a 9000. Good luck.
Unread 09-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #29
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Went through the 2 1/2" press hunt last winter. MEC would no longer do the 9000. PW would do a 375, they ask for hulls. I fell into a deal on Sizemasters and 600jr so reasonable I couldn't pass them up. They will load just about a perfect shell, most of the time. On occasion I end up with a crimp that isn't perfect on the 20ga, and the next one is, so it must be the hull itself. The 20ga took a lot more fiddling than the 16ga.
All I have used are RST (Cheddite) for 2 1/2" 20 and 16ga.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #30
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jolliff View Post
Ron,

I use RST hulls for my 12 and 20 gauge 2 1/2" loads with Winchester primers. There doesn't appear to be a loose fit problem with that combo.

I load them about 4 times and toss them as a cautionary move because of the inside base wad. I haven't had a problem but just being cautious.

I have some extra RST hulls if you'd like to try some. Just pay postage. 12's and 20's.

Anybody else also.

Bill
Thanks Bill -- but I don't load for 12 or 20, just 16 in 2 1/2"

Where do you get RST hulls? I heard they are actually Cheddite?