Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Here's an interesting story.....I was sittin on "The Stool" at Abe Chabers awhile back when my Repro was there getting it single trigger fixed and we were discussing single triggers in general. Now Abe just loves sharing his vast knowledge of gunsmithing and everytime I drop off a gun I am in for a lesson. And its fine with me..

Anyway we were talking about single triggers and he told me that there are people that cannot shoot a single triggered gun. I guess I looked at him kinda funny because he told the story of a customer that sold an english gun to a friend.

Now the seller had owned this gun for years and shot it without a problem. When the new owner shot the gun it started to double. Long story short. The gun came to Abe and after his inspection nothing was found wrong.

The seller,new owner and Abe went to the skeet field with the gun. Abe and the original owner both shot a round with it and the gun performed perfectly. The new owner shoot a round with the gun and it doubled three times.

Abe explained to me that the function of the inertia blocks for the barrel selector were there to control the involuntary trigger pull that occurs on recoil of the first barrel being fired.

He went on to explain that he has seen this happen in a few instances where the shooters natural reaction was quicker than the trigger.

Maybe this is why Charles King told Wilber Parker that he could make any single trigger double.

Food for thought.....
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

So Dave, that is very interesting and informative and it all seems quite reasonable, but back to your first paragraph.... what was the outcome of Abe's inspection of your single trigger problem?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dean the surfaces of the inertia blocks where they bore against each other were not finished to a high enough polish. Abe lapped them to a polished surface and the gun has been flawless ever since. There is no time in the action of a single trigger for any delay. The mechanism must function perfectly every time of the gun balks or doubles.
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post

Abe explained to me that the function of the inertia blocks for the barrel selector were there to control the involuntary trigger pull that occurs on recoil of the first barrel being fired.
This little tidit holds supreme relevance for me at this moment in time, regarding 'the things I ask'.

Actually, it's all good ... a veritable treasure trove of information.

Many thanks fellas.

( my other 12 Ga. Repro performs without fault.
It's good to have another gun for the sake of comparison. )
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thinking about it, I figure it's time to take my Repro apart and clean the innards. I don't want to wait for a problem caused by debris and coagulated oil.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote