Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had a Repro 28 gauge in the late 80's - early 90s. Around 1992 while woodcock hunting I missed a shot and swung over for the second shot. The barrel was pointing to my left and my stock hand was under my chin. The stock had shattered at the wrist and I now had a 4 piece gun instead of the usual 3. Back then there were no extra repro stocks available so I had one made and got rid of that turkey as soon as I could. The broken stock was the final of all the problems I had endured in the years I had the gun. Down the road it went.

I still have the two pieces of stock wood around here somewhere, I think.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Eddings View Post
I have Parker Repro #12-0745. The gun exploded on a recent trip to South Dakota.
No damage to me, but the stock is shattered. Anyone know where I can order, or get
a good used one? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Interesting story! What do you figure happened? So if I understand you correctly, the gun broke in two, but the barrels were intact? Is that correct? I've had several guns break at the wrist, one a Charles Daley Miroku 20 gauge. Just glued it back together and she is good as new today. So far....
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Glue it back together! My 28 ga broke in 2 at the wrist when I fell down while hunting a few years ago, and it looks like new. Nearly impossible to see the repair. Right behind the top and bottom tangs through the checkering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (469.8 KB, 7 views)
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
Glue it back together! My 28 ga broke in 2 at the wrist when I fell down while hunting a few years ago, and it looks like new. Nearly impossible to see the repair. Right behind the top and bottom tangs through the checkering.
Well, you sure has heck did a nice job of glueing it back together! I'll bet you excercised your military vocabulary when you broke it.LOL.

I have to be perfectly honest here. I had a gunsmith glue the Miroku back together and I can still see where it cracked, but she is not opening up again. I had a smith do it because the gun has that hard plastic finish and I was concerned that I'd chip it.

I have, however; glued several cracked gunstocks back together and they seem to be holding up okay and in some of them you can't see where they cracked. The trick is how you secure the stock after the glue is applied. (I usually use epoxie, but I've used Elmers too.) I have a set of spring loaded clamps that grip hard and I let it setup for several days.

Works for me.
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i was trying the string and get around the corner on a 12 ga gun that i rechambered to 3 1/2 inch chambers to proof it...well the proof method was good but the stock in the head crached about 6 inches in a split broke both of the sides off that meet the steel...needless to say i glued and fiber glassed it...but two good wood screws counter sunk in that walnut stock is probably the reason shes still together...and this old 12 ga has had a pile of super heavy loads put through her..but on a nice gun with a broke stock i would pin it or use steel threaded pins...this is for fellers like me that cant afford a good stock man...yep wood screws and glue for those old stevans stocks....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have been haunting gunshows all of my adult life. Over the decades I have seen hundreds of guns with repaired stocks. It used to put me off, but today I find them interesting and if the old repair works I consider buying the gun. Of course the rest of the gun has to be a good one. The repair will lower the price. That's good.

I see a lot of Elsies with busted stocks, or cracks that run from behind the lock through the wrist. If I can find one that was wrapped with copper wire or a sheet of copper and then tacked (if it's cheap enough and solid) I'll buy it. I like the "I been there" look. Nor do I own an Elsie and I'd kinda like to.
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Who's on first??? Are we talking RIG or exploding 12G Repros?

Can we please stay on subject?
1) Mr. Farrell, where can one buy RIG?
2) Mr. Eddings, what happened to your 12?
Jack Selman is offline   Reply With Quote
RIG can be purchased from
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default RIG can be purchased from

Brownells
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Who's on first??? Are we talking RIG or exploding 12G Repros?

Can we please stay on subject?
1) Mr. Farrell, where can one buy RIG?
2) Mr. Eddings, what happened to your 12?
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you, Parkerman. I was on another page of this discussion (?) and did not see my question was posted. Hence, the duplication! My Repro 20 will soon get the lube recommended. I hope my Repro stock will serve me as well as my vintage babes have! No cracks, breaks or explosions yet! So far, so good.