Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
If it is marked 3", and is 28" and marked improved cylinder and modified, it is a Steel Shot Special or a special order. Either way, it is worth a premium over other 12 gauge Repros. The Jaqua 28" gun is a SSS or a special order if it is actually marked improved cylinder and modified.
I called. It is not a Steel Shot Special. I weighed the bbls on my 28" IC/MOD non-SSS and they weigh 3 lbs, 2 oz. Someone with a SSS want to weigh their bbls?
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll weigh mine when I get in tonight. Primitive weapon deer season opened today and I'm setting in a deer condo waiting one out. One of my guests shot a nice doe this morning. Bill
William Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

From what I have read and been told the only difference was they choked them specially to produce better patterns with steel shot. The first one I owned actually had pattern sheets from the factory showing how it shot.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Terry Hobson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hellow everyone, I have been a lurker for years and this discussion pushed me over the edge to join. I really enjoy visiting this forum.

I do have a SSS. I purchased this gun in the late 80's from John Allen at Game Fair. He had just left Dunn's where he played a part bringing the SSS to market.
The biggest reason I purchased it was because I wanted a 12 ga. with 28" barrels choked IC/M. I was told that all the other 12 ga guns choked IC/M were only with 26" barrels. It weighs 7lb 4 oz, but as I was 30yrs younger at the time I was not too worried about the weight.
It is straight stock, double trigger, spinter forend. I sent the gun to Skeuse in NJ and had a set of 30" M/F barrels added a couple years later along with a 2 barrel case. I am so thankful that I purchased this gun. At the time I was not concerned with steel shot or rarity. I used this gun for a few years as an upland gun. Later I switched to smaller bore guns.

It does have the 12SS-xxxx on the receiver, forend, and barrels. Not sure just what the differences are between it and a standard 12, other that english walnut and 28" barrel choking. John told me that the receiver was "beefed up" in the interior.

Proably will never part with this gun......to versitile.
Terry Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Joe, my SSS bbl's weigh 3lbs 1oz, the whole gun is 7lbs 2oz. I looked at it closer and it has the 12SS marking on the bbl flat also. 28" marked IC & Mod, single trigger, beaver tail forend and English stock with skeleton butt plate. Briley thin wall chokes were added by the origional owner, a gun writer of some note who wrote about the gun back in the 80's. Bill
William Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote