Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

SSS?
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default SSS?

I notice that CSMC has listed a Repro on Guns International that they claim is a Steel Shot Special. Didn't they have a serial # that began with SS?
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

According to The Parker Story they were marked on the water table "12 SS" as part of the serial number. I have a friend that has a SSS and that's how his is marked. What I find confusing is that the example shown and identified in TPS as a B-Grade SSS doesn't have the markings as they describe.
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

I didn't know they made any B grade Steel Shot Specials. I thought it was a run of 275 (?) DHEs sold by Dunn's (Jaeger's). I bought one years ago (sold it) and I am pretty sure it had SS before the serial number on the trigger guard tang, unlike the one CSMC is selling. It definitely had SS before the number on the water table. I think CSMC is misrepresenting this gun. It wouldn't surprise me !
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gents,
I will check my DHE SSS later today and get back to you on the topics discussed.
Charles Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Charles Shelton's homepage!
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Is it my imagination, or did the price go down $1,500 since yesterday ? I thought they were asking $6,250. I emailed them asking if the serial # started with SS, but of course got no reply....
I just checked their website, and they have both prices listed ($4,750 and $6,250). I guess you're supposed to pick the one you like best.
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Joe,
Maybe your ? led them to discover they do not have a SSS? If so, surely you can expect a polite Thank You from them soon.
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Shelton View Post
Joe,
Maybe your ? led them to discover they do not have a SSS? If so, surely you can expect a polite Thank You from them soon.
Right .
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Joe and all,
Possibly I spoke too soon, .
The Parker Repro 12 ga with 3 inch chambers in 28 inch M/IC barrels on a 1 1/2 frame that my wife gave me as an anniverserary present years ago may NOT be a SSS as it was said to be by the "reputable" dealer where she bought it. The serial number is shown in multiple places as either 12-1234 or 12-01234(not the actual digits). In no place does it have SSS.
Based upon a bit of Google work tonight, the preponderance of evidence indicates that all steel shot specials did have SSS- in the serial number.

Mine has DT, SS, SF and is a great shotgun, but it seems that I will have to stop telling folks that it is a SSS(bye, bye snob appeal). I find it curious that various sources state in print that there were only 250, 275, 350, etc. SSS made; I will stop quoting such numbers also, since I really do not know what is correct.

Though a bit dissapointed it is not SSS, it was a wonderful anniversary present and is a pleasure to shoot. I think I will go kill some birds with it soon and forget about the SSS business.
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charles, I too, as I have posted before along with pictures, own a 12 ga, 3" chambers, 28" IC/Mod, straight stock, splinter forend, DT Repro. It is my duck gun, but it is not a Steel Shot Special. As I mentioned, they had "SS" (not SSS) before the serial number on the water table. I just don't remember if it was on the trigger guard tang also, although I'm pretty sure it was. I can tell no other difference, although it has been reported that the SSS had heavier barrels. My SSS that I sold weighed about the same as the non-SSS I now own, even though it had a beavertail and pistol grip, so I don't think the barrels were any different.
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

I have a steel shot special and it is only marked on the water table. Here is the number 12SS - 0XXX. Not marked SS on the trigger tang. Mine is 28" and they had special choking that was for shooting the steel shot. They are marked IC and MOD. This is the second one I've owned and they are both marked this way.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote