Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Donovan, did you ever measure your SCC's chambers?
See this thread:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=544
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

What about the .740 bore measurements? Is that a rumor or truth? What about the "heavier barrel" statement? Now we have owners who have SC models with both 2 3/4" and 3" chambers. How about that?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

My DHE 20 ga. Repro "skeet gun" with both 26" Q1 & Q2 and 28" Q1 & Q2 barrels have 3" chambers in both sets of barrels.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Donovan, I believe your sporting clays gun is not an exception and the chart may have an error. Parker Repro paperwork is not 100% accurate. There are a few errors. Your 26" gun with 3" chambers is certainly an exception, probably a special order.
I love dragging out pictures of my 12! Check out the lengths and chokes. I think it is quite uncommon and one of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Picture 405.jpg (386.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Picture 406.jpg (289.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Picture 407.jpg (334.6 KB, 6 views)
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
Donovan Kirkpatrick
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have never measured my SCC chambers. Been tempted to buy a gauge, both choke and chamber. Just never gotten around to it. I always find another gun to spend the $$$ on.
Donovan Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Robert Massie
Forum Associate

Member Info

In the past I have had Briley do work on some of my guns ( but never any of my SxS's). I was talking with one of their people the other day and asked if the Parker Reproductions were good canidates for chamber lengthening he said he had never done this with one of the Parker Reproductions and would have to see the gun. I thought some of you might have had this done I'll just box it up and send it to Briley for a look. Thanks. As for the guy that thinks 2 3/4 shells are just as effective as 3" for waterfowl he is either shooting led, shells loaded with stuff I can't afford to shoot, or does not do much waterfowl hunting
Robert Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Robert;
With all due respect I've been hunting waterfowl here on the Chesapeake Bay for well over 45yrs at least 2 times per week plus trips out to the western states to hunt pothole ducks, so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to say this. I do not shoot steel, I either shoot bismuth or tungsten matrix, which is very effective and I make it a point to be the best shot I can be. That is only achieved by burning alot of powder all year long and not by relying on a roman candle load. The art of waterfowling is about decoying birds to within reasonable range and then making a clean kill. I detest "
skybusters". You can shoot what you like but I'll stick by my original statement that 3" loads are not needed and are not as efficient as a 2 3/4" load. That is a ballistic reality. If you want to shoot a load that heavy go to a 10ga. which can handle that much shot. In shotgun shooting sometimes less is more but we Americans just have to have our 3 1/2" cannons to kill a 4lb. duck or 12lb. goose. Don't even get me started about those folks who think they need #4's or 5's to kill a pheasant and this new generation of turkey loads that could bring down a Cessna. Have a nice day
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Well stated Mr. 2-Labs
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Robert Massie
Forum Associate

Member Info

I do shoot steel and alot of it ( flooded timber in the morning and chasing snows in the afternoon) I don't hunt a couple of times a week, only come home a couple of times a season. I hunt in northeast Arkansas I guess the birds are tougher down there and we only skybust when the birds aren't close. My original post was a question about a gun that may save me having to ship it (sorry). My intention was not to debate ammo choice or hunting ethics . Shoot what you like that's why they make different flavors. That is all
Robert Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Massie For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Robert;
With all due respect I've been hunting waterfowl here on the Chesapeake Bay for well over 45yrs at least 2 times per week plus trips out to the western states to hunt pothole ducks, so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to say this. I do not shoot steel, I either shoot bismuth or tungsten matrix, which is very effective and I make it a point to be the best shot I can be. That is only achieved by burning alot of powder all year long and not by relying on a roman candle load. The art of waterfowling is about decoying birds to within reasonable range and then making a clean kill. I detest "
skybusters". You can shoot what you like but I'll stick by my original statement that 3" loads are not needed and are not as efficient as a 2 3/4" load. That is a ballistic reality. If you want to shoot a load that heavy go to a 10ga. which can handle that much shot. In shotgun shooting sometimes less is more but we Americans just have to have our 3 1/2" cannons to kill a 4lb. duck or 12lb. goose. Don't even get me started about those folks who think they need #4's or 5's to kill a pheasant and this new generation of turkey loads that could bring down a Cessna. Have a nice day
I most heartily agree. Even though I own the gun pictured above with 3" chambers in both barrel sets, I have never fired a 3" shell in either. I am closer to 50 years of ducking and goosing at age 63 and could count on one hand the boxes of 3 inch shells I have fired. For most of that time I never had a gun capable of firing 3 inch shells. I like my 28 ga repro over decoys with #5 or #6 bismuth. When that runs out I will use nice shot. I load that for use in the 16 and 12 bores.
and just for fun... here is a 16 bore non-Parker I own with results of 1 oz of #5 nice shot.
No offense meant to those preferring the bigger stuff. It is indeed a country of choices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2815.JPG (271.9 KB, 3 views)
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Clark For Your Post: