Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-26-2024, 06:33 PM   #31
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,014 Times in 2,710 Posts

Sticks? WOW!! We’re 20 minutes from two County Seats as well as 20 minutes or less to plenty of lodging. Just like NSCA shooters don’t support PA clubs and cut their nose off to spite their face, clubs here just stopped throwing registered. There are only so many ranges willing and/or able to host a multi-day SxS event with all the various shooting events thrown in. We have 35 events at ours plus special pricing for those just “shooting for fun”. Not many ranges can do what we do. Complainers gotta complain.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #32
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,348 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Sticks? WOW!! We’re 20 minutes from two County Seats as well as 20 minutes or less to plenty of lodging. Just like NSCA shooters don’t support PA clubs and cut their nose off to spite their face, clubs here just stopped throwing registered. There are only so many ranges willing and/or able to host a multi-day SxS event with all the various shooting events thrown in. We have 35 events at ours plus special pricing for those just “shooting for fun”. Not many ranges can do what we do. Complainers gotta complain.
You're preaching to the choir here buddy.
Unread 02-26-2024, 08:18 PM   #33
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,028 Posts

You also have to take into consideration that the new sponsor simply doesn't want to continue the event at that location. The Delaneys were at least 2-year veterans (as exhibitors) at Ernie's so I am fairly confident they paid close attention to the mechanics of hosting the event there and grilled Ernie as to the prats and pitfalls of putting something like that on. I am not privy to whatever contact and/or depth of conversation they may or may not have had with Mike regarding Rock Mountain hosting the event, so I cannot speak to that.

The choice of a location at Wellsville PA IMHO was a "testing the waters" experiment that failed for two reasons: First, the inherent naivete that everything would come off like clockwork as they had seen at Ernie's (and earlier venues like Sandanona and Pintail Point) per efficient range management and organization, and Second, the "unawareness quotient" of the local range management that when you advertise that shooting will begin at 9AM, YOU NEED TO BE READY TO SHOOT AT 9AM!!

Serious competitors (think Mikey, Daryl, the Defernelmonts & others of their ilk) are in an SUV train with ATVs on trailers or rented golf cars when the gates open at 9AM for an advertised day of cracking clays; there is little tolerance for the trappers for "Well, it was working great yesterday" for a balky trap or "the targets must be still wet from last night's dew" as bird after bird shatters into confetti coming off the plate.

Also, when you advertise a known major competitive event 6 mos. in advance, you plan ahead to NOT RUN OUT OF FOOD AT NOON ON DAY 2 (as occured at Pintail Point on the 2nd day of the event!).

Lastly, the non-shooting-related logistics (e.g., variety and quality of available food vendors, proximity and suitability of lodging (not to mention affordability) and overall attention to detail (clean Port A Johns!!) in providing shooters as well as spectators an enjoyable day afield play a crucial role in making one want to return for another event.

I give the Delaneys a lot of credit for taking on this "Dark Side of the Moon" effort on a first- time basis. They are an established firm offering high-end driven bird shooting in Great Britain and Europe. Having been on a few of these (not with the Delaneys) I can appreciate the bifurcation of logistics required and the exhaustive attention to detail required to bring off both those and the Vintagers within the same year(s).

I would urge all interested parties to read Liz Delaney's eMail to Dr. Bob's Lefever group regarding this change of date and venue for the VGC. Also read Mike Franzen's comment a few posts ago that supporting this event is "good for our community." For those that can't wait to criticize the outcome of their first VGC effort, remember that the empty wagon rattles the loudest.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 02-26-2024, 08:37 PM   #34
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,014 Times in 2,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
I find it funny that the attitude used to be that the Third weekend in Sept was “vintagers weekend” come hell or high water. Even when it meant scheduling it on the same weekend of another already booked event. But they now have no issue with moving the date around. 2 weeks early last year, 2 weeks later this year.
Brian, thank you for your support.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-26-2024, 09:03 PM   #35
High Brass
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pintail Point made some mistakes. I think Sandanona was the gold standard.
George Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George Stanton For Your Post:
Unread 02-26-2024, 09:13 PM   #36
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,825 Times in 1,377 Posts

A few of things that I encountered when dealing with staff and volunteers of the Warrington club at the VGC beyond those things already mentioned. When you signed up for the main event they had staggered start times. 9AM. 11AM and 1PM. We wanted to shoot at 9AM so we could finish up and go see the museum at the Army War College in the afternoon. I thought I would be getting a score card for the 9AM round if it was available. Instead I was told there was no guarantee that we could start at 9AM, instead we were told to go stand under a canopy and wait for a trapper to take us out on the course if there was room for the 9AM start. I explained we won't be able to shoot at the later times as we had plans and asked if I could turn our cards back in if we could not shoot at 9AM. We were told NO. So I had to gamble and possibly waste $180.

We got to start at 9AM and had to walk out to the furthest station where targets were in the woods. By the second station I realized with so many broken targets that I would probably need more shells than the extra box I had taken with me because of all the do overs. My truck was a long ways away. At the end of the second station a person from the club came out to reset the targets and apologized saying he had to set up the targets the night before in the dark. This caused long delays at our first three stations as squads backed up on the shotgun start.

We had some amazing squad mates, two teenage boys both shooting Model 21's, 14 and 16 year old and their mentor. Both were shooting fantastic but the 14 year old was shooting lights out. About mid course we were in an elevated shooting stand and there was a low dropping incomer. It was a difficult second shot. The 14 year old was doing the best of all of us and getting solid breaks on that target and the trapper/scorer kept calling them lost with the rest of the squad telling the scorer it was a dead bird. The scorer had taken a seat behind some brush and couldn't see the target being hit below his line of sight. This went on for the entire squad as the scorer didn't change his position when that was suggested. Unfortunately I think it rattle the young man and hurt his composure costing him some targets.

I shrugged it off, sharing what happened with a few friends and went about my way.
All in all I had a great time but mainly because I was enjoying all the tourist activities available in Gettysburg, Carlyle and later Harpers Ferry and Antietam. Bottom line I would love to go back to Gettysburg but not another VGC at Warrington.
Unread 02-26-2024, 09:41 PM   #37
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,348 Times in 2,450 Posts

Let me clarify my last post. Liz and Sean certainly did their part but Liz bit off more than she could handle as she did 90% of it by herself. Warrington SC dropped the ball and was totally unprepared for the event even after having months to prepare for it. It's a shame because he has the potential and the room to put on a good shoot. Plus as Pete said there are many great historic sites in the PA area.
Unread 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM   #38
Allen Peterson
Forum Associate

Member Info

personally, I love shooting clays, but you can do that any time of the year. Hunting season is a limited time frame and can't be rescheduled. multi day shooting events are fun but not as much as shooting live game over a fine dog. The southern is terrific the guns the people and the shooting. Maybe find a place to hold it after the season. Hunters point, Drakes landing, CVSC, or Rock Mountain could hold a good meet for those folks who like to play dress-up
Allen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen Peterson For Your Post:
Unread 02-27-2024, 08:51 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,608 Times in 3,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Peterson View Post
personally, I love shooting clays, but you can do that any time of the year. Hunting season is a limited time frame and can't be rescheduled. multi day shooting events are fun but not as much as shooting live game over a fine dog. The southern is terrific the guns the people and the shooting. Maybe find a place to hold it after the season. Hunters point, Drakes landing, CVSC, or Rock Mountain could hold a good meet for those folks who like to play dress-up
I’m kinda skeptical of CVSC doing something like the Cup . Brad’s a good guy but I don’t think he wants any part of such an undertaking .
Unread 02-28-2024, 07:37 AM   #40
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,984 Times in 1,425 Posts

When I first got wind that the Vintage Cup was coming to central Pa. I highly suggested Blue Ridge Sportsman's Association, my home club. They have hosted many state sporting clays championship and SCTP shoots. They are an all volunteer club and located 2 1/2 miles from interstate 81 with motels at almost every exit and tourist attractions around the entire area. Negotiations went round and round with Blue Ridge but in the end Blue Ridge said "No". Why? From what I was told, the Vintagers wanted Blue Ridge (remember Volunteers) to do 90% of the work for little profit. They decided to go to Warrington and I could tell that the preparations for a large shoot just wasn't happening. Too bad, I liked the fact that I could, for once, sleep in my own bed for a shoot!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post: