Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
HOW TO CRACK A STOCK
Unread 02-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Default HOW TO CRACK A STOCK

My 1878 10 lifter had 2 5/8" chambers and I debated whether to shoot the longer shells like one would in 12 gauge or to get the chambers lengthened. Finally I sent the barrels to Mike Orlen who within a week had them back to me with lengthened chambers and lengthened forcing cones. Very good work.

Since it is a number two frame I wondered what would happen now with my heavy loads. Would the lengthened chambers cause the barrels, which are not the greatest, to take my hand off? Well I put up the turkey targets and with low pressure but heavy 1 1/2 ounces of sixes right and fours left, I took two shots at targets. Great! The barrels held and my hand was still there! Dead turkeys at thirty-five steps! Took the gun inside to discover that the loads had cracked both sides of the recently refinished stock head (I had soaked all of the oil out of it so I did not expect this). It appears the locks cracked both sides and there is no crack internally in the stock. Was taking it after geese Saturday but now it needs to be fixed again. The stock is tight and with no internal cracks and everything fits perfectly. Have you seen this?

Not a happy day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LIFTER STOCK CRACK 1.jpg (491.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg LIFTER STOCK CRACK 2.jpg (526.1 KB, 3 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote