Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Pellets in a 30" circle at 40 Yards
Unread 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default Pellets in a 30" circle at 40 Yards

I know that this has been cussed and discussed "ad nauseam" here, but I woll make this inquiry/observation more specific. I own two 30" barrel 12 bore parkers, first a DH Damascus 1 frame gun, the second a VH Vulcan 2 frame gun.
The letter for the DH states that the gun should target RH 325 pellets, and LH 350 pellets using 1 1/8ths oz of #7 shot. Shot at a 30" circle at 40 yards.

The letter for the VH specifies RH and LH 275 pellets of #7 shot at an 1 1/8 oz, shot at 40 yards. at a 30" circle.

Couple of questions:

Do we assume that in 1889, when the DH was made, that everyone was still using English measured shot diameters? English measure of 1 1/8th of 7's would be around 382 pellets, making the DH shoot 85%R and 92%L. If the pellet count were American (337pellets) the gun would shoot 96% R and 104% L.

The VH on the other hand would shoot 72% in each barrel (English measure) , and 82% each barrel (American measure).

So, by my reckoning, both guns are "full choke" with the DH being super full and crazy super full"?? I also makes me wonder what loads with plastic shot cups might do to the business end of the DH?
Unread 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Great question. We have four barns on the farm and there is not enough space on their sides to pattern another shotgun. Off topic, but I like to pattern at 10 yards. Cylinder will be in a 19" circle, Improved Cylinder 15", Modified 12", and Full 9".

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,245 Posts

1 oz. No. 7 Tatham chilled shot (291 per oz.)
1 1/8 oz. = 327
1 1/4 oz. = 363

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Great question. We have four barns on the farm and there is not enough space on their sides to pattern another shotgun. Off topic, but I like to pattern at 10 yards. Cylinder will be in a 19" circle, Improved Cylinder 15", Modified 12", and Full 9".

Harry
I suspect at 10 Yards the left barrel of this DH would just punch out a soup can sized hole!

Never been much of a "patterner" but I think I have a box or two of 1 1/8 Herters around here somewhere....Think I am going to blast some paper when I have that gun back from Kirk Merrington.
Unread 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Parker Bros. did pattern tests on their guns and usually recorded the results in the Parker Stock book. The recorded results are given as pellet counts for each barrel.

The earliest patterning was done at 45yards in a 18 x 24. It is not known if that was a rectangle or oval. Next, they changed to 45 yards in a 24" circle. Lastly, they used the standard 40 yards in a 30" circle. It is believed they used these for 8,10,16, and 20 gauge guns. It is possible the 28 and .410 gauges may have used different specifications.

The Parker Story states that manufacturers had different pellet counts for a specific size and weight shell. It is believed that Parker mostly used Tatum shot but that is speculation. Having the original stock books may answer the mystery. When the copies the stock books were made, some of the page was missed; the patterning info (most of the time). The last column in the stock book listed what type of shell (powder, drams, and possibly the type of shot) was used.

The guns hanging tag, if it exists, usually records the size and amount of shot used in the test.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

While it is fun and interesting to know what patterns Parker bored these guns to shoot, it is merely idle entertainment in the final analysis. As Kirk will tell you, what patterns the guns will throw TODAY and with the ammunition you intend to shoot is all you need to know.

And to know that, you must pattern the guns with YOUR ammunition.

The results may be close. But maybe not.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote