Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
In South Texas those 26” tubes would be a plus! And 24’s would have a following also!
Mark, I'm curious why short barrels are in favor in South Texas. I would think it would be the opposit if quail and doves are the game. If I could choose a Parker for those birds, I would order a light 20 bore with 30 or 32 inch barrels. But things and opinions are different in Texas than they are in the North East. I personally like long barrels especially in small bores. If I could order a new Parker today it would be a 28 bore with 32 inch barrels.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

I am sure like many in South Texas Mark hunts through a lot of thick Mesquite Thickets.
Unread 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #13
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Mark, I'm curious why short barrels are in favor in South Texas. I would think it would be the opposit if quail and doves are the game. If I could choose a Parker for those birds, I would order a light 20 bore with 30 or 32 inch barrels. But things and opinions are different in Texas than they are in the North East. I personally like long barrels especially in small bores. If I could order a new Parker today it would be a 28 bore with 32 inch barrels.
When talking short barrels down this way, we are talking wild Bobwhites, particularly over dogs. Personally, I prefer longer barreled guns, but if you look at the various upland and Quail "specials" by Browning, Remington Ithaca etc., many are 24". We do often hunt thick thorny mesquite, scrub oak , brushy thickets, and a lot of the old timers around here want a "fast pointing" small bore. Very often the birds must be killed on the rise, as they will disappear into thicket in a flash. The little 00 frame 28, with 26" barrels I just acquired should be a terror on these guys!!!
Unread 07-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
When talking short barrels down this way, we are talking wild Bobwhites, particularly over dogs. Personally, I prefer longer barreled guns, but if you look at the various upland and Quail "specials" by Browning, Remington Ithaca etc., many are 24". We do often hunt thick thorny mesquite, scrub oak , brushy thickets, and a lot of the old timers around here want a "fast pointing" small bore. Very often the birds must be killed on the rise, as they will disappear into thicket in a flash. The little 00 frame 28, with 26" barrels I just acquired should be a terror on these guys!!!

As an aside, and germane to this thread, I really like the half-pistol grip on my 12 Ga. VH!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halfpistol.jpg (583.0 KB, 4 views)
Unread 07-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

when the south had plenty of wild quail the short barrels were king most were 26 inch improved cly barrels and some shorter barrels were used two...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
Kurt Sauers
Forum Associate

Member Info

I really like this gun but it's 2x my budget.
Kurt Sauers is offline   Reply With Quote