Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Stu, even the originals had to be hand-fitted to the buttstock at the Parker Gun Works.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

Step one is to get the buttplate to conform to the butt in "the bend" of the butt of the stock. Next step is to get the screws in and get the plate to fit absolutely flat against the wood. I am good at both of those steps. However, you may consider proceeding from there as part of a refinishing job on the stock as this will produce the best fit for the buttplate. The final sanding of the wood will be done with the buttplate in place for a perfect fit.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Stu Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well I think I will get an everyday semi-auto to play the range with, and start cleaning up the Parker. Will be searching out best methods to tear down the ole gal and refinish the stock and forearm as well as cleanup the metal. Don't need perfect but Damn Good will be the goal. Due to loads of projects laying around I will guess it will be early-mid 2011 before I get under way. Would enjoy having someone in my geographic area that is also going through the process to share the experience and likely a beer or scotch as well.
Stu Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Stu, good looking old girl a little tlc and she should be ready for the range, Trojans are the "Model T's of the Parker world. Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #15
Stu Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well, my priceless to me model T has not made much progress. Bought a Beretta Teknys and last week a beautiful Beretta 682 (Stunningly beautiful and unique I might add).
Is there anyone in Western NC in the process of restoring their Parker at the present?
Love to share the experience with someone.
Not ready to start just yet, but maybe in a few months. Sending my 682 to Cole's and that will suck some funds for now.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...vhost=outdoors
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

I have spent a bit of time here and there along the way with making a valiant attempt to resurrect a VH in truly rough condition. I "tinker" with things, not a pro. You can see the VH in my albums, including close-ups of the parts you will encounter. If you are "handy", you can strip it down completely and clean up the innards. Be sure to use only hollow ground tips that completely fill each slot. Forget your carpenter/mechanic screw drivers. Dis-assembly instructions in the FAQ's. Lots of very good tips also in the FAQ's. Search around. You will learn a lot about your gun. Your Trojan will be good for many more decades after getting some deserved TLC. There are many here that can and will help. Ask lots of questions before doing anything that doesn't seem straight forward - and maybe even if it does, because not all is what it seems. Don't pry the fore end off - use a finger or a Romig Wedge - a simple tool (the wedge, not Romig). There are threads discussing oil removal from the stock, a staple repair for a split head, rather than the screw/pin repair that was done on yours. If you decide there are some things you want done that are beyond your own expertise, there are members here who can do stock repairs, metal restoration and master gun-smithing. You found the right site to help you bring your Trojan to good serviceable condition on your own accord, or right up to a near factory restoration with the services of others.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Cheers,
Jack
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Better have a little spacker 4 u start.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Stu Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Does anyone have a link to the kind of screwdrivers that do the least damage on my lil Parker?
I asked at Lowes for hollow ground tips and you could see the guy lock up and smoke come out of his ears.
Thanks in advance!

will these do?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS075-1.html
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Brownells, super set and thin set With these tips you will be able to take on most any firearm. A bit pricey but cover all the bases. They also sell individual tips. I think there is a thread on here from a while back that describes which tip for which screw so you could just buy the Parker specific tips. Someone may recall the particular thread but it escapes me at the moment.

Cheers,
Jack

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...magna_tip_sets