Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hewlett View Post
Does anyone know a gunsmith in New England [preferably Maine or New Hampshire] who could bend a repro. straight stock for cast off?
Herb,Contact Walter Eiserer. He has 50 years under his belt (not counting his 8 years apprenticeship in Austria) I have had two stocks bent, including one rook rifle with the tiniest wrist. He has the skill, tea kettle, and nine miles of surgical tubing.
It is not something I'd trust to the amateur gunsmith, or newbie. I certainly would never try it, but I've bent a lot of wood in my boat building, and know wood likes to be talked to nicely, then it will go 'round the horn for you.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I researched the subject quite a bit a few years back. Spoke to some that had done it. Watched my friend bend my straight grip 28g Repro. It moved about 1/4" down, but seemed to come back about 1/8" later. I Built my jig. Bent 3 stocks successfully. The first one was a early 1900s Parker that we (me and the owner of the gun) bent together. We moved that stock up 3/4" in 2 steps. The second was my 28g Repro which I bent down about 3/8" or more.

In the few that I've done, I believe it's very important to have a favorable grain alignment. After that, I think a paraphrase of Elmer Keith's saying is in order: "Use enough heat".
Forcing the wood will result in either breaking, cracking, or the stock returning to the original position. My repro bent easily by finger pressure after it was heated well and through. It was then held in place by the jig (not forced to bend by the jackscrews of the jig) and allowed to heat further to stress relieve the wood. It hasn't come back any in the years since I bent it.

I'm not an expert, but I didn't think this was rocket science. Larger pieces of wood are bent much much more in all kinds of things than the little we need our stock bent. Adequate heat is all I see is needed.

The Repro

Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Have seen your posts about this adventure in the past Chuck - nice work & I agree to use finger pressure instead of screw pressure..that's a good dose of common sense (which is not always so common it appears)

I have been threatening to do this for quite awhile as my two favorite shotguns are stocked so differently and it takes a little "getting used to" in the field with my style of shooting; aka;point and shoot with no thought whatsoever (instinctual).

I could use a bend down on one of my Repros to gain more drop at the heel along with a slight cast for alignment..outside of the risk of snapping the stock at the wrist (grain appears suitable)..I fear a wood wrinkle on the underside of the wrist around the tang. To a lesser degree, I'm concerned about the finish..on the gun I have in mind I would much like to retain the original Repro finish for its water resistance (plus the gun is honestly worn in 'just right' and I really do not want to take away from the warmth of the gun if you know what I mean.

I am also assuming the drop @ comb would increase to a lesser degree to the butt, this also raises the concern about a change in pitch..

I have to say that Brians thoughts on the subject have sure made me take pause..

..I have bent my share of wood in the past for arched mouldings etc.

Your experience? Thoughts?
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would think if I could successfully do this a few times right off the bat, a master wood man like David Travallion could be trusted to bend your Repro if he says he can do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I will admit the finish could be affected. But, with the large checker pattern on the grip, there really isn't much finished area anyway. I don't think the little we bend stocks could result in any deformity such as you mentioned. As I said, I've only bent a few. So, my experience is limited.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 09-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

1/4-3/8" increased drop & cast off about 1/8" at most - this is an off the cuff estimate w/no pattern board verification..yet.

Also haven't trigged out the effect on pitch using those #'s either, wouldn't be much..

Thanks for your thoughts & for sharing your experience
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2015, 02:17 AM   #17
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

The effect on pitch is small, IMO. I bent my gun about 7/16" down.
Unread 03-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #18
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have had several stocks bent and have been happy with the results.
Jim
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #19
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Dan Cullity in West Barnstable, Mass can do it also.
allen newell is online now   Reply With Quote