Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

PARKER GUN Tobacco Tag
Unread 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default PARKER GUN Tobacco Tag

Tobacco tags are a collectible that I didn't even know existed. Reportedly there are thousands of different tags. Here is a "PARKER GUN" tobacco tag that I would like to know more about.
There was a thread about this 9 years ago but unfortunately it is lost in the archive and can't be retrieved. Does anyone remember any info from the thread? Can you offer any information on the Parker tag from personal knowledge or other sources?
How common is the PARKER TAG today?
Was it used as a promotional item by Charles Parker Co.; was it licensed; or was it an infringement? Did sports or men that couldn't afford a Parker pick up a plug at their local sporting goods store?
Thanks in advance for any information. This tag is about 0.50" x 0.74" for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1151.jpg (539.2 KB, 7 views)
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Dorr For Your Post:
Unread 08-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Very cool.
News to me.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,918 Times in 420 Posts

Yes.....very cool indeed! Can you please elaborate on how they were utilized at retail? Were those brass tabs bent/affixed to a cigar or plug of tobacco like a wrapper?

PS---I don't feel so bad knowing that "Parrish" Purtill had no prior knowledge of these as well.
Unread 08-06-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the remarks. Steve, only thing I know is what I've learned by Googling the subject. One photo showed a tobacco twist with the tag points wedged into the sides of the twist where they came together. I read that the tags were invented by the tobacco manufactures to prevent dishonest store owners from substituting a cheaper product into a bulk box labeled with the manufactures line of goods. Originally wood tags were inserted into bulk tobacco plugs that were then cut to retail size. Eventually metal tags were inserted with injurious results. I assume the tag points were pushed into plugs for identification purposes but that is just an assumption.
I'm sure someone will jump in with more knowledge than I have.
Erick
Unread 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I've seen a couple of these over the years, the one I've owned was given to Muderlak as a gift ages ago. I don't think I've got anything to do with Parker Guns, just like the C. Parker guns sold by the hardware companies, a name that had a lot of recognition so it was used for various things. There's another one of these that says Parker Sword as I recall.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've seen a couple of these over the years, the one I've owned was given to Muderlak as a gift ages ago. I don't think I've got anything to do with Parker Guns, just like the C. Parker guns sold by the hardware companies, a name that had a lot of recognition so it was used for various things. There's another one of these that says Parker Sword as I recall.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Destry,
Would your tag be the subject of the post in the achieves a few years ago?
Erick
Unread 08-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

It's possible.

It would have to be an old old thread because Ed has been gone several years and wasn't on the forum for a couple years before that.

Destry