Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

1 ounce ten loads
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 1 ounce ten loads

ive been fooling around with the 1 ounce loads again...i finally came up with a load i really like. not much recoil and really patterns tight.. at 40 steps i put 17 shot in a pop can a squirl would be in trouble at this distance... used winshester hull cut to 2 7/8 inches winchester 209 primer 30 grains bluedot ballistic long range wads no slit or pedals of 1 5/8 to 3 ounce load put 3 16 ga 3/8 thick filler wads inwad then 1 ounce of 7 1/2 lead shot with a 16 ga top wad over shot then a 10 ga top wad over the 16 glued top wads in place.... was shot in a old claybrough brther and son hammer gun with damascus barrels with open chokes...now got to find some squirls to try them out on... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Go gettem Charlie! Sounds like big fun. I'd love to have a dozen tree rats in the freezer.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

if your ever in ole miss. stop by and pick up a dozen... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, I have seen several Claybrough's that had open chokes, but were jug choked. Is your gun jug choked? My B. Norman hammer 10ga has open choke on the right barrel and is devastating on clay birds out to 40 yards. I just can't figure out how those old open choke guns shoot such great patterns at middle distances.
Theodore LeDurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

theo i honestly cant answer your question i dont know if its jugged choked or not...but i do know its more open than my other tens...i believe its the 1 ounce load that truly makes the gun shoot good paterns in fact this load has outshot all of my loads as far as putting more shot in the can...i really like these old claybrough guns.... charlie
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

In the old muzzleloading days of live pigeon shooting, before chokes were invented, they would use less shot - 1oz in the 10ga - to tighten up their patterns. The reason why is, the very short shot column means lessshot deformation in the bottom layers. Also less powder to keep pressures down mean the same thing. A high pressure means the shot started more violent and in turn more shot deformation. A buddy shoots sporting clays at our club with a Lefever and no chokes. Some birds are 40yds and by useing 7/8oz of shot at 1100FPS [ low pressure ] in a 12ga he shoots real good scores. By doing the above almost all the shot is staying nice and round and you're not getting flyers, hence great patterns and in effect increasing your choke. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks paul... charlie
Unread 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Are you guys shooting and eating gray squirrels? I've got zillions of them around here in Central Oregon. Some are very fat.

Do you put them in a stew?

I am shooting an old English double muzzle loader. No choke whatsoever. ligher loads, tighter patterns, eh? I'll try it.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yep them gray squirls are good in a stew.... charlie
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
In the old muzzleloading days of live pigeon shooting, before chokes were invented, they would use less shot - 1oz in the 10ga - to tighten up their patterns. The reason why is, the very short shot column means lessshot deformation in the bottom layers. Also less powder to keep pressures down mean the same thing. A high pressure means the shot started more violent and in turn more shot deformation. A buddy shoots sporting clays at our club with a Lefever and no chokes. Some birds are 40yds and by useing 7/8oz of shot at 1100FPS [ low pressure ] in a 12ga he shoots real good scores. By doing the above almost all the shot is staying nice and round and you're not getting flyers, hence great patterns and in effect increasing your choke. Paul
Makes total sense to me. I can see that the larger the explosion the harder the shot will be pushed leading to more deformity and excite the pattern when it leaves the muzzle.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote