Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 07-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Daniel, I'm shooting about the same load you are - not sure of the velocity, but it's not over 1200. I keep extra shells so I can let other guys shoot it. Then there's the explaining about cocking the hammers and which trigger fires which barrel. They don't seem to grasp the concept of two barrels cocked and loaded, it doesn't matter, just pull a trigger and one of them will fire. Ah, I shouldn't be so hard on the auto gun shooters - I tease em all in fun. And just about all those guys think the confetti looks cool. They do have comments the first time - what is that, I never saw anything like that, or how do you shoot the second shot with all that stuff in the air. To us it's kind a funny so many shooters don't know how shells were loaded a couple of years back.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #22
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

This brought back a memory of a couple a years ago. There was a older gentleman who stood about 5' 3" and dressed in period clothing who shot a 10ga. He'd shoot up at Freeland and my Lapeer shoot, both for SxSs. At that time only Freeland had a enclosed 5-stand. And he shot BP. Now he didn't just shoot it, but he made the 5-stand and all the grounds around it shake. He had to be loading 4 or 5 drams of smoke. And when he yelled pull, he YELLED it. As I remember he didn't hit a whole lot, but man did he enjoy himself. The 5-stand was about 30' high in the middle - it went up from both ends so you were shooting station 3 at the top. The front was open so you could see the shooters on station 4 and 5. It was so much fun watching a elderly gentleman enjoying himself so much doing something we all love. God, that gun must of got hot shooting those loads at 5-stand where you shoot pretty fast. I don't think he's with us anymore, but I'll never forget him. Hope I'm still having that much fun at the end.
Unread 07-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #23
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Re reading my post I was too sarcastic, apologies. Point is any light 10 G 2 7/8 inch load with available components needs a filler . Any filler will blow visible residue out.

Fiber wads have several advantages, buy them too large cut down with a pocket knife to make the stack height come out right. I am loading 400 10 G now. 1 oz , 1 1/8 oz & 1 1/4 oz, all with half inch 16 G fiber wads cut to suit. They also have some spring making the stack height less critical. Other methods may be just as good.

Far as objectionable most objectionable gun on a clays course is ported !

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #24
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,389 Times in 595 Posts

I did not find any sarcasm at all, my shooting partners have many good qualities and i would not trade them for anything. I also load 3/4 16 ga. using felt carpet pad punched out for a filler, it does not have any visible residue. It is not thick enough for the 10 and i can't find a 16 ga punch, may have to make one. The short 10 has brought me a lot of fun and like Paul i always bring extra shells for those who want to shoot it. Ported guns are certainly objectionable.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ported guns are ok when your buddy is shooting one in a round of skeet at dusk, station 6, and he's going to be short a shell because he's been shooting two at singles when he misses, so you give him one of your shells. A BP shell to be exact. Damn, you could see fire shooting a foot out of the side of that baby. He thought he blew up the gun. It came right out of his hands. The rest of us never laughed so hard while he had some choice swear words for me. Nobodiee ask me for a shell anymore if they're going to be short.
Unread 07-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #26
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,389 Times in 595 Posts

Paul now i have got to load some BP 12 ga. and wait. I am still laughing, you made my day.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #27
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I do it only to " friends, " and only if they're shooting a break open gun, and try to do it when they still have some shells to shot afterwards so the barrels kind a clean themselves, at least some. I've caught one buddy on SC's twice, on the same station, only three days apart. The second time he even said " oh, one of those black shells [ Remington ]." But then he's pushing 80 so I forgive him for not putting 2 and 2 together.