Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

10 ga project
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
C. Aaron Beck
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 ga project

I would like to set myself up for reloading 10 ga shells to use for clays and hunting. I have dowloaded the 10 ga recipes posted earlier but have never reloaded before and am basically starting from scratch. Assuming I want to start with just one or two load recipes, how do I make sure I order all the right stuff. It seems in addition to the loader and components there are tools to skive new hulls, tools to resize old hulls, tools to cut down hulls to short lengths, overshot card combos which read like alphabet soup, charge bar and bushings in plethora and generally a baffling array of components for what seems to be a straightforward project. Any guidance appreciated or if you have some experiance here and would be willing to talk on the phone, perhaps that would be better.

Aaron
C. Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Dave Miles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Where are you located?
If your lucky, a member who reloads may live by you and you could visit and see first hand what your getting into and what is required.
Dave Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Aaron, I reload the Federal hulls, I also would recommend just buying a adjustable reloading bar for your 10 ga press, you will also need a digital scale 50 60 bucks, to confirm your loads. this combination will allow you to load lead bismuth or nice shot. I started by just reloading trap crow loads , which needs SP 10 wad and star crimp. I would order a roll crimp tool and you can just use a cordless drill in low and hold them with fingers. Hull trimmer you can make, recommend over the one for sale, 10" of 3/4 wood dowel a exacto blade and a wood screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (158.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by E Robert Fabian; 02-06-2010 at 06:52 PM..
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E Robert Fabian For Your Post:
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Cal Lego
Forum Associate

Member Info

At this point, I have only started to load the 10 gauge myself but found that I could do it pretty easily on my trusty Mec 600. I used the 10 gauge sizing ring screwed onto my 12 gauge sleeve and theysized just great. I poured a measured charge using my Belding & Mull measure, put in the SP10 Remington wad and a couple of spacer wads and then the shot (1-1/4 oz.) I bought a roll crimper from Precision that was steel and turns right handed in my little drill press. I held the case by hand and got an amazing roll crimp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precision Reloading Tool Co's 10 gauge Roll Crimp .JPG (71.5 KB, 1 views)
Cal Lego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Cal, got to love those short tens, looks like you have got it going with the roll crimps. What do you use your ten for there in sunny Calf.
I posted a picture of a home made shell trimmer behind your last post if you should need one.
Bob
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Cal Lego
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Robert Fabian View Post
What do you use your ten for there in sunny Calf.
I posted a picture of a home made shell trimmer behind your last post if you should need one.
Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the post on the trimmer. A picture is worth 1000 words. I use the 10 gauge mostly to amuse myself here in not-so-sunny-lately California. I'm hoping to move to Idaho in a year or so and do some hunting again.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Nice picture of the shell cutter. Picture this as a low tech alternative. Clamp a sharp kitchen knife in a vise, blade edge up. Place your shell over the end of a close fitting aluminum or hardwood dowel. Roll the shell over the blade like a rolling pin. Slide the cut off section of shell up the dowel and insert another shell. It is real fast and real easy. The time saving is in cutting directly around the shell rather than a spiral cut which many methods require.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Cal Lego
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Nice picture of the shell cutter. Picture this as a low tech alternative. Clamp a sharp kitchen knife in a vise, blade edge up. Place your shell over the end of a close fitting aluminum or hardwood dowel. Roll the shell over the blade like a rolling pin. Slide the cut off section of shell up the dowel and insert another shell. It is real fast and real easy. The time saving is in cutting directly around the shell rather than a spiral cut which many methods require.
I will try that tonight. I have 100 to trim and am sure I'm going to cut myself the way I was doing it. Great idea, thanks!
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Hi Jent,

Do you use a PW 1000 progressive press? If so would you recommend one of those $970 rigs to a poor shooter like me...

Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Jent uses a Model 375 PW. The 375 is the best ten gauge loader anyone can have.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote