Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
16ga VH - Good restoration candidate?
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
TNR
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 16ga VH - Good restoration candidate?

I dug this one out of an estate auction and it may need a bit more than a little TLC. 1907 16ga 0 frame. Mechanically excellent, wood is in good shape despite having a metal pin insert and a newer recoil pad (probably from the last 30-40 years). The stock crest is missing or was removed (don't understand the logic behind that move).

Bunch of the screws are a bit buggered and the blueing is in poor shape - someone obviously took a brush to the receiver and barrels to remove surface rust (an evidence of pitting remains). Barrels have some pitting right at the end of the chambers (or gouges from shooting 2 3/4 shells in a 2 1/2 chamber?). Brace on the trigger-guard is a bit messed up.

Regardless, I have never had any sort of restorations done with any of my doubles (I really relish the history of them). I'd like to get it checked out, have the barrels evaluated and have a partial restoration done so it can be a good working piece for me. I'm looking for some recommendations on how to proceed or what you might want to do and some good smith recommendations.
Tom Roller is offline   Reply With Quote