Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-15-2022, 12:28 AM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,003 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wheeler View Post
Thank you for the info.

I am wanting to load some bp bismuth for my 1887 Winchester and some
10g Bismuth for my 1901 Winchester.

Unfortunately I do not have a Parker yet. Please don't hold it against me. Ya'll have some of the best load data on the net in these forums.
I always enjoy talking to other 10 ga shooters regardless if they are using a Parker or not. Ive been primarily using the 10 gauges for 12 years now and I just enjoy them.

Now the lead load ive been using there is a bismuth recipe identical to it and I believe the pressures are within like a 300 psi difference or so but all sorts of variables can change that of course. If you're ever curious what your handloads are actually running id say its worth the $40 to have Precision Reloading test them.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #12
Joe Wheeler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I always enjoy talking to other 10 ga shooters regardless if they are using a Parker or not. Ive been primarily using the 10 gauges for 12 years now and I just enjoy them.

Now the lead load ive been using there is a bismuth recipe identical to it and I believe the pressures are within like a 300 psi difference or so but all sorts of variables can change that of course. If you're ever curious what your handloads are actually running id say its worth the $40 to have Precision Reloading test them.

Well, This is my first 10g and I have not got to shoot it yet. I have been trying to gather up all of the componets which should finish arriving today or tomorrow.

When I got it there was a very old and crusty recoil pad on it that looked horrible. I have been in the process of replacing that also. Unfortunately, they took about an inch off the stock so finding a decent pad to fit and then making it fit has been a little bit of a pain.

I am hoping to load up some 10 loads using either WSM or Green Dot and lead soon. First I want some plinking loads just to be able to shoot the gun then I will work on some duck loads.
Joe Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2022, 08:42 PM   #13
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,003 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wheeler View Post
Well, This is my first 10g and I have not got to shoot it yet. I have been trying to gather up all of the componets which should finish arriving today or tomorrow.

When I got it there was a very old and crusty recoil pad on it that looked horrible. I have been in the process of replacing that also. Unfortunately, they took about an inch off the stock so finding a decent pad to fit and then making it fit has been a little bit of a pain.

I am hoping to load up some 10 loads using either WSM or Green Dot and lead soon. First I want some plinking loads just to be able to shoot the gun then I will work on some duck loads.
It may be worth as well testing some buffered bismuth loads when you start working on duck loads, from everything ive read bismuth responds well to buffering. You can buy 1lb bismuth bags from rotometals to test different sizes see what your gun likes. I had a wood stocked Browning BPS 10 once that someone had cut the stock down to a youth configuration which seemed odd haha, I was able to still shoot it though. From what ive read a short lop isnt as bad on a waterfowl gun if you're wearing alot of thick clothing.

Only powder I have experience with is Bluedot which I use for my 8 and 10 ga loads. Loading shotshells is pretty easy and simple I mostly use handtools except for the roll crimper. I got a small digital pocket scale from Precision Reloading that works well and stays calibrated.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post: