Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #21
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

If I remember correctly Murphy bites the crimped end of the shell to deform it a bit and preventing it from falling out. It doesn't take much to keep them in the chamber. I don't think it's a good idea to deform the brass base. Trigg hunts with his hammerless guns open until the dog goes on point and I follow him around and pick up shells, some from a previous days hunt he had been on. I don't do that; too much 'stuff' falls inside the action-sticks etc-some of which necessitate taking the floorplate off to remove. I would certainly never carry a hammer gun closed and cocked when hunting with others and/or a dog; I don't even do it hunting alone with no dog, but have it loaded, cocked and open until something flushes and try to keep rubbish from getting into the action. It's easy in a preserve situation to carry them open and loaded or even unloaded until the dog goes on point. At our open field preserve up here there are relatively few surprises unless a bird wakes up and runs so it works well to carry a hammer gun loaded, cocked and open. I don't bite my shells ala Murphy when hunting/dog training there. I have also dismantled every Parker I have for cleaning/inspection/repair so I know where the sears are with respect to wear to address the issue George brought up of closing causing a discharge. I've bought hammer guns that came with sears worn/mangled enough to have that be a definite issue. I dismantle every Parker before I ever shoot it, especially around anyone else. Not much of anything more embarrassing or dangerous than an accidental discharge of a shotgun when shooting around others; just once and you will be suspect from then on. Your shooting buddies are likely to buy you a beenie cap with a siren and a rotating red beacon on it....

oops. Didn't read page 2 before writing this. I've not tried the cocking of the hammers when a bird flushes. Sounds like Harry has a lot of experience at that. I did see a nice hammer gun at a shot once that had the hammer ears come over towards the middle of the breech enough that you could bridge them with one thumb. It was very easy to put your right thumb across both and cock it. I liked that a lot. It was a 12ga too, but not a large framed gun.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Richard,

I think it is Austin that cockes both hammer as the gun comes up. He is a great shot and a delight to shoot with. Great observation. I have several Parkers you could do that with, but also have one with off set hammers (you can open the gun with it cocked) that it might be a little dangerious doing. I still like a closed gun hammers down. With practice you will find on the skeet range you have plenty of time to shoot doubles with hammers down and cocking for each bird.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_1209hammers0002.JPG (72.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2005_1209hammers0001.JPG (73.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2005_1209hammers0003.JPG (47.8 KB, 5 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
With practice you will find on the skeet range you have plenty of time to shoot doubles with hammers down and cocking for each bird. Harry
But not on ruffed grouse and woodcock in heavy cover without a dog.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

On some skeet shots I can barely even see both birds much less cock hammers for each clay. I like to cock the hammers with the gun open then close it when ready to call for the birds/clays. I've not shot a light and/or small framed hammer gun though. Mine are both pretty stout guns. A small frame hammer gun is one of my dream guns. I would like for every hammer gun to be such that it could be opened with the hammers cocked. It's much safer I think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #25
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
A small frame hammer gun is one of my dream guns. I would like for every hammer gun to be such that it could be opened with the hammers cocked. It's much safer I think.
Mine is an absolute delight to hunt with and carry and with the fishtail lever it opens easily with the hammers cocked.

As in WHF's "New England Grouse Shooting"'s Little Gun... "Gee-rifus Ev, she don't weigh nothin'."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammered Woodcock (1892 Parker 16).jpg (383.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Cranky Ol' Pa'tridge Hunter.jpg (368.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 017.JPG (329.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 159.JPG (278.2 KB, 9 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #26
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean: please locate the nearest Star Trek replicator and clone your gun for me... You can beam it to my home address when it's ready....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Austin may in fact cock both of his hammers at the same time on the rise. However, chances are he uses the less strenuous, more reliable, and safer method of cocking the left, then the right, just finishing the cocking of the right barrel as the trigger is pulled. It doesn't matter which trigger you decide to pull first, but as you are finishing the cocking of the right barrel, your hand is in the shooting position.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #28
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

OK Dean,

Now you've got me drooling! What gauge is your little hammer gun? Please tell me more about it.

Paul
Paul Ehlers is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Paul, it's a sixteen on the 0-frame with lightening cuts. It has 28" barrels choked open and mod and it weighs 6 lbs., 7 oz. LOP is 14 1/4" with DAC of 2 1/4" and DAH of 3". It balances about 1/4" foreward of the hinge pin and is very lively but not at all whippy.
Chuck Bishop shot it at one of the stations at Addieville on Saturday and if memory serves, he cleaned the station... or maybe dropped one.
Thanks for the compliment. Dean
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Chuck Bishop missed one? Do you have a cell phone video?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote