Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Laminated barrels
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #71
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Laminated barrels

Laminated barrels 1890, I believe your year will be the same pattern as these. The early English pattern was different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D10 and PH laminated 009.jpg (503.1 KB, 1 views)
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #72
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, Dave. Those are beautiful barrels. These do look a lot like that, but not as much contrast between the colors. What do you call that? Blacking? Black and white?
Patrick Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #73
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi, again, Friends. I got the shotgun re-assembled yesterday--most likely for the first time in several decades. Everything works, and it went back together much more solidly than I expected it would. it is temporarily wearing its broken butt plate, but I expect to have a replacement in a few more weeks. Several of you have been particularly helpful with tips, insights and leads to other resources. Special thanks to Wayne, Brian, Darryl and Edgar, but there are many more of you who helped by virtue of your postings in other threads. There is much information to be found in this community, and you are all very generous with your help.

Well, I've got to admit I sort of wish I didn't have to give this back to my cousin. I've grown pretty fond of it. I guess I'll have to start looking around for a project gun for myself. I'm especially impressed with its overall durability. With better barrels, I am now convinced this gun could be a shooter again.

I don't need to tell any of you how graceful and elegant it is overall. It's a big, heavy gun, but its proportions are beautifully slender and graceful.

If I measured correctly, I can give you some details:
Length overall: 48 & 3/4"
Length of barrels: Just shy of 32"
Length of pull: 14 & 3/8"
Drop at heel: 2 & 7/8"

That seems like a lot of drop, but it points perfectly for me. Without adjusting my head, the comb is snug against my cheek and my eye is perfectly aligned with the rib. Then, of course, my left arm gets very tired...

I'll post some "after" pics next. Thanks again to all.
Patrick
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #74
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

In these photos, you can see that I was mistaken about the stock re-finish. It was NOT a professional job, and the wood was very much over-sanded. This is especially true of the fore end. All of these metal components are fully seated in their inlets, but you can clearly see that they stand proud of the remaining wood. I'm sure this won't affect function at all, but it's a real disappointment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fore-end-after.jpg (86.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tip-detail.jpg (137.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg frame-fore-end.jpg (126.5 KB, 1 views)
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #75
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here, you can see that the wrist area of the stock was over-sanded, too. The trigger plate is fully seated in its inlet, but it stands proud of the remaining wood. However, I was pleased that the lock plates still fit very snugly in their inlets. The striking surfaces of both hammers are peened and dimpled from lots of use. I believe those could be filled, reshaped and re-hardened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right-lock-detail.jpg (155.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg right-hammer.jpg (139.6 KB, 0 views)
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #76
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

The barrels seem to lock up pretty well, considering all the neglect they suffered. I'm sure the fit could be made better with some polishing. I was very surprised that the joint has no rattle or even wiggle. It just eases into position and the latch goes "thunk".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top-lever.jpg (127.5 KB, 0 views)
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #77
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

One last note about the stock: When I really turned my attention to it, I found some runs and drips and big dust particles trapped in the shellac. Like I said, it was a very amateurish attempt. I wet sanded with 400 wet or dry paper soaked in mineral spirits until I had the shellac leveled. I did this with the paper wrapped around a rubber eraser. I was very careful to avoid sanding through. After a couple of days to let the finish re-harden, I rubbed on three very thin coats of linseed oil--about three drops per side at four day intervals. I don't mind the old gouges and stains at all. To me, they are each part of the history of the gun, and I think the stock looks quite nice, all things considered.
And the outside of the right barrel looks good for its age. As long as the left barrel weld is turned to the wall, this will look pretty good in my cousin's gun room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right-profile.jpg (138.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg right-hinge.jpg (133.8 KB, 0 views)
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #78
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Looks pretty good for as rough as it was. You better get you another one as quick as possible. You will start to go through withdral symptons. I know people that would use the good barrel and hunt with it just like a single shot. I won't mention names.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #79
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

done a nice job on this ole gal..you can bet shes proud of what you done for her... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote